Newbie with seed question

fuzzbuzzleJune 12, 2005

Okay, dumb question time :o) Which part of the salvia plant do the seeds come from? I see what "looks" like seeds on my spent flowers, but I'm a total novice, so I need to ask about absolutely everything. I have the Victoria blue (s. farinacea) variety. Thanks a million!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helena_z8_ms

If you go to page 2 on this forum, the thread "Saving Seeds of the New World Sages" is explained by Richard. Hope this helped.

Bookmark   June 12, 2005 at 6:10PM
wardw(z6 NJ)

I haven't grown farinacea in years, but as I recall this salvia produced a lot of seed and seedlings came up everywhere in the spring. I wish I was looking at one now to be certain about the details, but check out the spent flowers that have turned brownish, there should be seed inside, although if it's like other salvia, the seed may quickly fall to the ground as the capsul dries.

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 10:50AM
fuzzbuzzle

Thanks! I was hoping those were seeds I was seeing on spent flowers. I'll plant the spent flowers and see if anything happens, if not, I'll look for seeds around the base like the other variety of salvia in the other thread :o)

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 9:14PM
More Discussions
How to prune Pineapple sage for winter
My Pineapple sage in pot is at the end of its blooming,...
Gofrsz
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
Salvia regla 'Mt. Emory' source?
I am looking for a source of Salvia regla "Mt....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
dormancy issue question on my salvia reptans?
All of my different salvia's are coming back now except...
loganlady
WANTED: Salvia Elegans (Pineapple Salvia)
Does anyone have cuttings or volunteers? I am in Redlands,...
LeeBeesGarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™