Disappointed with East Friesland

mebarry117June 16, 2005

I've been growing this salvia for 3 years now and am disappointed. They're very floppy and am thinking of replacing. Is there anything to prevent the floppiness - more or less fertilizing, etc. If not, which varieties do you grow that are sturdy with long bloom period? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skrip(z9/sun19/SoCal.)

Well, I stopped planting east friesland for the same reason as you. My first 3 salvias ever were East Friesland, Victoria Blue and Mexican Bush Sage. Victoria Blue is so prone to mildew its just not worth it, but the blooms are beautiful. The only one I still use is the Mexican Bush Sage. This one has a long bloom period and gets really big. It can flop but I guess Its not as bad as other sages in the floppiness, because its very easy to prune. Its probably not hardy in your area, we are at opposites of the country.

I remember using small stakes around east friesland until I just couldnt stand it. It tries to come back every year but the other plants smother it out. And if it does survive, it flops out sideways.

I dont like or ever recommend this salvia.

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 12:10PM
Archduke

Wish I was close enough to take your East Friesland salvia off your hands. I love it.

Randy

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 2:22PM
FlowrPowr

I grew my East Friesland from seed. This year I expected it to be much better than last year. I couldn't wait for it to stop blooming so I could cut it back. The worst part is that I put it at the front of the border, where it really stands out. I think I will be looking for a replacement for next year.

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 12:13AM
nhlady(z5 NH)

I was researching salvias when I saw this post. I've grown S. 'White Hill' and S. 'Caradonna' with some success in Z.5. I liked the look of E. Friesland. I went to Tracy DiSabato-Aust's book (Well-Tended Perennial Garden) to see what she had to say. Her advice is wise and reliable. She suggests sheering, deadheading, avoiding too much shade and not fertilizing too heavily. That's more or less what I've been doing based solely on instinct (or neglect!) with the two I have and it seems to eliminate the need for staking. I don't like staking because my plants never look attractive after I get done. Try cutting the plant down if they get leggy and keep them deadheaded.

Bookmark   August 19, 2007 at 12:55PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

True Salvia nemerosa East Friesland is a sterile hybrid and does not set seed.

It definitely grew better for me in Massachusetts which had fairly bright, cool summers in the 70s. Since moving to North Carolina, all of the nemerosa types have not fared as well with the hot and humid subtropical nights.

Bookmark   August 19, 2007 at 2:03PM
dicot

It's not particulary happy in the full sun/clay conditions in my yard. I think I need to lift it and move it to a more shady and better watered part of my yard. I guess the upside is I've never had a floppiness problem because I'm constantly shearing off the dry/dying parts.

I wish I had tried the S. nemerosa plumosa instead.

Bookmark   August 19, 2007 at 6:23PM
More Discussions
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
dormancy issue question on my salvia reptans?
All of my different salvia's are coming back now except...
loganlady
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
I have salvia 'Clary Mix'? Does anyone have experience...
ladyrose65
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™