need info for seeds..Please

gimpytwice(5b ohio)February 18, 2006

I have Stargazer lily seeds that I harvested from my garden and I know that they are suppoded to be papery but how can you tell what ones are good?

thanks Sharyl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

I'm no expert, but it is my understanding that if you look at the papery portion you will see an embryo or something like that. There should be something round inside. If it's just stright paper, it's not fertile. That's the basic idea - now someone with some expertise can rescue this post with the correct terminology.

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 11:54AM
paul299(z4 Minnesota)

Put the seeds in a carboard box and blow on them, the heaver seeds are the good ones. Lily often produce large amounts of empty seeds, they have little wieght.

Bookmark   February 26, 2006 at 6:04AM
debraq(z7LI*NY)

HI,
I, too, have Stargazer lily seeds.
I read that you are supposed to hold the flake up to the light and you will see the seed inside of the flake. Those are the ones that will germinate.
I have 35 stargazers and I let one pod on each of them ripen until they almost opened.
I am so sorry that I did that now, because at the same place I read about how to tell if the flake is viable, they said to never let the pods stay on the stem because it weakens the bulb by taking the energy and nutrients the plant produces and puts it into seed production which in turn, will hurt the next years flower production.
I'd rather have the flowers, and buy new plants than take a risk on having lousy blooms.
I'll never do that again, but that's me. I just felt you needed to know the whole story on stargazer lily seeds.
Hope this helps you,
debra

Bookmark   March 6, 2006 at 6:38AM
debraq(z7LI*NY)

HI I too have Stargazer lily seeds. I read that you are supposed to hold the flake up to the light and you will see the seed inside of the flake. Those are the ones that will germinate. I have 35 stargazers and I let one pod on each of them ripen until they almost opened. I am so sorry that I did that now, because at the same place I read about how to tell if the flake is viable, they said to never let the pods stay on the stem because it weakens the bulb by taking the energy and nutrients the plant produces and puts into seed production which in turn will hurt the next years flower production.
I'd rather have the flowers, and but new plants than take a risk on having lousy blooms.
I'll never do that again, but thats me. I jusut felt you needed to know the whole story on stargazer lily seeds.
Hope this helps you,
debra

Bookmark   March 6, 2006 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Phlox and Yarrow seeds where are they??
I have not been here on this forum before and am usually...
wishnforspring
any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?
I already posted the following to the vegetable forum,...
cousinfloyd
Which plants stay true to the parent?
I'm saving seeds for the first time this year. I know...
paloaltomark
New at this....How do I harvest parsley seeds
I have a healthy flat leaf parsley plant in my herb...
realtorrose
crepe myrtle seeds
does anyone have any free pods or seeds to start my...
sandym646
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™