Wave Hill Salvia

wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)June 11, 2007

Is anyone growing 'Wave Hill' salvia? Got this one last fall under that name. It's a really nice salvia, quite sturdy with lovely salmon flowers, but I haven't found any info on it anywhere as to sun-shade tolerance, hardiness...nothing. Info appeciated, thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

I distributed Salvia involucrata `Hadspen' under the name Salvia involucrata from Wave Hill untill I got the real name through a series of email posts with Robin Middleton. The folks at Wave Hill got it from England but did not have a varietal name.

Because the involucre on this plant is quite elongated and the bracts subdued in size, I think it is a hybrid. It tends to form weak branches and forms a spike somewhat like S. elegans.

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 3:01PM
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

This one is strongly upright, stiff branch and stem structure, stem round and felted with white, underside of new growth leaves softly white felted, leaves softly corrugated. I bought it in 5 gal size, probably 2 ft tall. It propagates quite readily, lovely flower color...all in all a very, very nice salvia. I'm leaving for the rest of the day, but will try to post photo tomorrow. Thanks. I'll check on 'Hadspen'

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 5:21PM
sarahbn(z6Pa.)

They have some amazing salvias there! Beautiful place!

Bookmark   June 16, 2007 at 10:56AM
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

Very interesting...I went to a nursery / garden that I hadn't beeen to before and she also has what I've gotten as Wave Hill. I was thrilled since now I could maybe learn the name...she has no idea, got it with no name. And she grows and sells a lot of salvia,been doing it for quite awhile. At least I was able to see that she grows it in full sun and it's about 6 1/2 ft tall. Hers hasn't flowered which seems odd to me since mine was in flower when I bought it in a 5-gal pot. I did not ask her how long hers has been growing there...should have. I looked up 'Hadspen', the brief description didn't sound to me as the same plant, but I could be very wrong.
Sherry

Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
salvia seeds edible?
I know that Chia seeds are commonly eaten but are all...
anygreen77
Salvia regla 'Mt. Emory' source?
I am looking for a source of Salvia regla "Mt....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
How to prune Pineapple sage for winter
My Pineapple sage in pot is at the end of its blooming,...
Gofrsz
Please help me ID this yellow flower. Salvia family?
Hi, My friend found this plant and wanted to know what...
foxyfoliageinc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™