Wave Hill Salvia

wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)June 11, 2007

Is anyone growing 'Wave Hill' salvia? Got this one last fall under that name. It's a really nice salvia, quite sturdy with lovely salmon flowers, but I haven't found any info on it anywhere as to sun-shade tolerance, hardiness...nothing. Info appeciated, thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

I distributed Salvia involucrata `Hadspen' under the name Salvia involucrata from Wave Hill untill I got the real name through a series of email posts with Robin Middleton. The folks at Wave Hill got it from England but did not have a varietal name.

Because the involucre on this plant is quite elongated and the bracts subdued in size, I think it is a hybrid. It tends to form weak branches and forms a spike somewhat like S. elegans.

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 3:01PM
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

This one is strongly upright, stiff branch and stem structure, stem round and felted with white, underside of new growth leaves softly white felted, leaves softly corrugated. I bought it in 5 gal size, probably 2 ft tall. It propagates quite readily, lovely flower color...all in all a very, very nice salvia. I'm leaving for the rest of the day, but will try to post photo tomorrow. Thanks. I'll check on 'Hadspen'

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 5:21PM
sarahbn(z6Pa.)

They have some amazing salvias there! Beautiful place!

Bookmark   June 16, 2007 at 10:56AM
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

Very interesting...I went to a nursery / garden that I hadn't beeen to before and she also has what I've gotten as Wave Hill. I was thrilled since now I could maybe learn the name...she has no idea, got it with no name. And she grows and sells a lot of salvia,been doing it for quite awhile. At least I was able to see that she grows it in full sun and it's about 6 1/2 ft tall. Hers hasn't flowered which seems odd to me since mine was in flower when I bought it in a 5-gal pot. I did not ask her how long hers has been growing there...should have. I looked up 'Hadspen', the brief description didn't sound to me as the same plant, but I could be very wrong.
Sherry

Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
seedling cold tolerance
I have a flat or so of salvia coccinea that I have...
bakerhardwoods
salvia seeds edible?
I know that Chia seeds are commonly eaten but are all...
anygreen
Skin irritation from Mexican bush sage?
Whenever I prune our Mexican bush sage, I break out....
hollybegonia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™