Questions about crosses

christie_sw_mo(Z6)June 27, 2007

I have a salvia darcyi seedling that I started this spring that looks very much like my salvia guaranitica - at least the leaves do. It hasn't flowered yet.

I'm wondering if crosses tend to get more traits from one parent than the other or is it just random. Are the flowers more likely to be blue like guaranitica or red like darcyi or somewhere in between?

Also wondering if crosses tend to have less nectar than their parents or the same. I'm hoping it will be a good hummingbird plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

If you have an artistic eye, you can often see the characteristics of both parents. These do not manifest equally. Hybrids often start out more like the female and go to bloom more like the male. Also, there are differences between spring and summer, rapid growth and semi-dormancy, and sun versus shade.

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 2:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Thanks Rich! I'm anxious for them to bloom. A couple of the seedlings look just like the parent so I assumed the flowers would too but maybe not. One seedling has leaves just like darcyi but not as gray so I think it must be a cross too.
Wish I'd been able to collect more seeds. Darcyi has somewhat large flowers and gets a hole near the base of the bloom that I think someone said is caused by bees. After the bees found them last year, I didn't get anymore seeds.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 8:42AM
More Discussions
Botanical name for a Salvia?
I have a Salvia coccinea "Molly Ivens". I...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
salvia seeds edible?
I know that Chia seeds are commonly eaten but are all...
anygreen
need tips on germinating Salvia roemeriana
Hi, A friend from Texas sent me seeds of Cedar Sage...
seedmoney
salvia clevelandii
decided to have another go at clevelandii this autumn....
davids10 z7a nv.
Salvia Madrensis dormancy
I purchased two gallon pots at a plant sale this fall,...
fairfield8619
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™