Where can I get sages protected under Plant Patent?

rich_dufresne(z7 NC)June 4, 2012

This includes both PP (Plant Patent) and PPAF (Plant Patent Applied For) sages. Unauthorized selling PPAF sages before they are released is really bad, because it violates the patent.

At some point, I'd like to know how widely distributed Plant Patented sages have been sold. These include S. greggii Teresa, S. greggii Desert Blaze, S. leucantha Santa Barbara, S. leucantha White Mischief, S. leucantha Danielle's Dream, and S. vanhouttei Wendy's Wish. I'm sure they are widely sold along the west coast of the US. Outside of Plant Delights in Raleigh, NC (licensed), coverage in the lower 48 east of the Rockies excluding Texas is really spotty. My sense is that big box store offerings is both transitory and sparse.

Can anyone confirm this? I'd like to get some idea of how frustrated Salvia enthusiasts are, and where there are missed opportunities for plantsmen to offer these plants legitimately.

I believe these plants are licensed to only one propagator, who probably supplies plugs to local growers. Unauthorized propagation can be a problem, and it can be hard to tell if a plant has been propagated legitimately.

I'm just learning about the possibilities of open licensing varieties of sages. That sounds like more of an honor system.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Is S. vanhouttei Wendy's Wish the same as Salvia 'Wendy's Wish' (minus the S. Vanhouttei part)? If so, it is everywhere here in Jacksonville. Even Lowes and Home Depot are carrying it. See link below - link included only to show that Lowes carries the plant.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowes Plant Guide - Wendy's wish

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 12:32AM
robinmi_gw

Salvia 'Wendy's Wish' and Salvia 'Van Houttei' (sometimes known as Salvia splendens 'Van Houtteii) are quite different. The photo on your link is of 'Wendy's Wish'.

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 3:59AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

What is S. vanhouttei Wendy's Wish (from the first post)? Is it the same as Salvia 'Van Houttei'/Salvia splendens 'Van Houttei'?

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 12:13PM
robinmi_gw

Think Richard is mistaken, no such thing as S. vanhouttei 'Wendy's Wish'.

WW is a hybrid, nobody certain of the parents, but possibly buchananii x splendens. (chiapensis could be another parent...heaven knows how to describe the promiscuity of Salvias in Australia......moving on!) The splendens MAY be vanhouttei....but Wendy's Wish is just Wendy's Wish, and I would prefer that spidermites did not like this beauty so much!!!

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 1:37PM
robinmi_gw

This thread has gone OT..partly my fault...re plant patency..Rich, contact Donald...he has posted about this on the Hummingbird Forum, especially re Salvia 'Amistad'.

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 1:39PM
More Discussions
salvia seeds edible?
I know that Chia seeds are commonly eaten but are all...
anygreen77
flowers more tenacious
The only Salvia that I know first-hand is S. coccinea. Blossoms...
four
Botanical name for a Salvia?
I have a Salvia coccinea "Molly Ivens". I...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
need tips on germinating Salvia roemeriana
Hi, A friend from Texas sent me seeds of Cedar Sage...
seedmoney
Salvia ID
I can't remember which salvia this is. I planted "maraschino...
rubyhum
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™