Saving medicinal herb seeds

kensclark15March 27, 2012

I have a pretty big list. I've always just used the plants and never saved the seeds but now I think it's time to save them. Here is the list: Hyssop, Angelica, Echinaeca, Rosemary, Fever few, Clary Sage, White Sage, Chocolate Mint, Lemon Verbena, St John's Wort, Gotu Kola. I have a couple more but I can't remember their names :/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi Kensclark,
I think no one wrote back to you because it is a lot in one post. Different types of flower produce seeds in different manners.
For Salvia, the flower drops off, and the calyx turns brown. Once the calyx is brown, the seeds held in the calyx should be ripe.
For Echinacea, the petals fall off and the cone part of the flower dries up. Once it is dry, the seeds are ready and they are held within the spiky parts of the cone. (There are a few post with pics on this forum if you do a search.)
For Mints and Basils, the flowers die and the flower cluster turns brown. The ripe seeds will readily fall out of the brown when rubbed.
Rosemary does not produce many viable seeds, and is best propagated by cuttings.
Feverfew the white petals fall off and the middle button browns.
I've not save from the others so I can't say for sure. To see pics of some of the above and get more info, I recommend The Seed Site. It is an excellent resource.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: The Seed Site

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 1:33PM
More Discussions
crepe myrtle seeds
does anyone have any free pods or seeds to start my...
sandym646
Which plants stay true to the parent?
I'm saving seeds for the first time this year. I know...
paloaltomark
Chaenomeles (Quince) shrub- info please
Hi guys! Yesterday I cracked open the fruit from my...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Wanted: Paulownia seeds
Topic title says it all. I do have a lot of stuff to...
rozenkruetz
any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?
I already posted the following to the vegetable forum,...
cousinfloyd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™