Morning Glory and cross pollination question

kr222(6b)March 11, 2009

I just bought seeds for I. tricolor 'Heavenly Blue' and I. nil 'Cameo Elegance'. I want to grow them in the same area of the garden, but I'm not sure if they cross pollinate or not. Does anyone know? I want to be able to save seeds from them next year that are true to type.

Thanks everyone!

Kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Taken from the link below:
Seed Saving Instructions:
Morning glories will cross-pollinate. Gardeners should only grow one variety at a time to save pure seed, or isolate varieties by 1/4 mile. Seeds are ready to harvest when the seed capsules are completely dry and brown

Another option would be to plant some for early flowering, and then some for later and destroying any of the first ones that are still in bloom.

hth.

Sue...chemocurl

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Morning Glory.

Bookmark   March 11, 2009 at 3:01PM
remy_gw

Sue,
You are partly correct. If the MGs are all regular MGs Ipomoea purpurea they will cross with each other. Like I. purpurea Milky Way and I. purpurea Grandpa Ott's will cross with each other.
The poster though has I. tricolor and I. nil. They will not cross.
I. tricolor Heavenly Blue and I. tricolor Blue Star cannot be grown together as they will cross.
I. nil is the Japanese type like Blue Silk or Hatsu Arashi so the Japanese types will cross with each other also.
It you want seed purity and not have to do any thing special in the garden, grow 1 I. purpurea, 1 I. tricolor, and 1 I. nil variety.
Sometimes though the species name on MGs is incorrect so it is always good to double check the species name.

Kim,
You are ok to grow them together : )
Remy

Bookmark   March 11, 2009 at 7:16PM
kr222(6b)

That's great! I really wanted to be able to plant both this season and be able to save pure seed. Thanks!
Kim

Bookmark   March 12, 2009 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
Ruellia/Mexican Petunia
There has to be a trick to saving these. I know they...
poisondartfrog
seeds sprouted in paper towel show mold on paper towel
I saved my zinnia seeds last year and decided to sprout...
kimpa
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
When to expect sunflowers to form seeds?
When can I expect my sunflowers to form seeds? I was...
invisigoth
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™