Salvia farinacea (cathedral series) 'Sky Blue'

ncgardner(7B)June 7, 2010

Just purchased a Salvia farinacea Cahtedral 'Sky Blue' and was told it is a perennial in NC (Raleigh area). I researched it on the web and can't find any info stating the zone or temp. for this plant. That leads me to beleive it is an annual. It is light blue and a very full flower, looking simular to 'Victoria' which I know is an annual. It isn't as tall but similar bloom.

Does anyone know? Perennial or annual?

The tag, again, doesn't give a zone or temp. chart. Don't the tags of perennials give a zone range or temp chart. Maybe a tender perennial but why would a nursery say it is a perennial with no explaination as to temp?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karen__w(z7 Durham, NC)

S. farinacea and many of its selections are rated hardy to zone 7b. I'm slightly colder than you in zone 7a, so for me they winter over sometimes but not reliably. Most places sell farinacea cultivars as bedding plants, implying annual, but they're all perennial. I think relative winter hardiness may vary slightly between the species and different cultivars, but I don't know specifics about Cathedral Sky Blue.

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 8:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Victoria will many times winter over in my Zone 6, not reliably so, but usually at least several of the 8-10 plants I grow each year will survive the winter--so yes, tender perennial. So I wouldn't be surprised if other farinacea cultivars can also survive in Zone 7.

Kate

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 2:04PM
More Discussions
Please help me ID this yellow flower. Salvia family?
Hi, My friend found this plant and wanted to know what...
foxyfoliageinc
WANTED: Salvia Elegans (Pineapple Salvia)
Does anyone have cuttings or volunteers? I am in Redlands,...
LeeBeesGarden
I need plants ofb Salvia Apiana.
I left my place in California and have had no luck...
Designed Excellence
Salvia ID
I can't remember which salvia this is. I planted "maraschino...
rubyhum
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™