peony seed

ljpother(3a)March 17, 2010

I have some old peony seed pods that I needed to soak to soften them up. The large pods have a few 1/4" seeds and the smaller pods, 1/4*1", have rows of tiny seeds. Are the small pods immature or a different variety. The seeds came from my mother-in-law's house and I didn't see them in bloom.

Also, I received daylilly and peony seeds from other sources and one package of daylilly and peony seed was similar, dark brown, almost spherical, 3/8". The other daylilly package had lighter brown irregularly shaped seed. These were all saved seed packages. Am I going to be surprised when they sprout?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi,
The tiny seeds in the peony pods are seeds that never developed. The larger seeds can vary in size by variety, but they will still be much larger than the tiny seeds you found in the pods.
I don't know about the odd shaped daylily seed. I've only seen ball shaped ones. I can't imagine that someone mislabeled a package for daylilies though. Are they shrunken in? If so they might be seeds that got picked before completely ripe, but I can't say for sure without seeing them.
Remy

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 11:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ljpother(3a)

Thanks,

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 10:19PM
More Discussions
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?
I already posted the following to the vegetable forum,...
cousinfloyd
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
Lantana Tangerine
I have a large, thriving shrub of this and I would...
merianna
Lupinus perennis seeds (already stratified)
anyone know a source for sundial lupine seeds (already...
puffkit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™