Anyone germinating new yellow echinacea?

oxfordblue(z5 ON)March 12, 2006

Has anyone had any luck growing the new yellow coneflower hybrids from seed indoors? I can't get them to germinate -- Is it me? Or is it them? The potted plants cost an arm and a leg in Toronto, so I'd like to solve my problem! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
megajas(z7 VA)

I'm starting the yellow prairie coneflower (yellow w/ big cone) and they germinated fine... it's the purple that I'm having issues with! LOL I've started taking the dome off during the day and putting it back on over night and it seems to be helping with the germination.

Good luck!
-Bonnie

Bookmark   March 14, 2006 at 8:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tracey_nj6(6)

I forgot to winter sow the seed from my Mango Meadowbrite, but I believe Echinacea needs cold stratification to germinate. I know my purple coneflowers outside reseed, and I've had good luck winter sowing the purple & white coneflowers. The new colors are hybrids, so the won't look like the parents, but you might just get something even prettier ;) I think I'm going to spring sow my echinacea seeds, after I chill them for about 2 weeks. Well, if I can find the seed head :(

I'd love to have a bed filled with the new oranges and yellows, but being at least $20 a pot locally, it's not gonna happen!!!

Bookmark   May 11, 2006 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?
I already posted the following to the vegetable forum,...
cousinfloyd
Lantana Tangerine
I have a large, thriving shrub of this and I would...
merianna
Bugs in seeds -) will freezing work?
Apparently a batch of small flying insects - rather...
suecirish
need help with seed saving winnowing
saved these seed how do I winnow?
Wild Haired Mavens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™