S. guineensis

Solar_Storm(24 CA)July 11, 2013

I have long thought that in addition to trifasciata, the other naturalized sansevieria in FL was the one known locally as S guineensis that I thought was a cultivar of S metallica., I just came across an article (see link) where the author, states the species is actually S.hyacinthoides. Here's the text. The photo is my plant

Sansevieria hyacinthoides (L.) Druce, Bot. Exch. Club Soc. Brit. Isles 3: 423. 1914. Aloe hyacinthoides L., Sp. Pl. 1: 321. 1753. Cordyline hyacinthoides (L.) W. Wight, Contr. U.S. Natl. Herb. 9: 249. 1904. LECTOTYPE (designated by Stearn 1961): GUINEA. C. Commelin, Praeludia Bot. 84, t. 33. 1703.
Though Sansevieria hyacinthoides appears to spread vegetatively only, it is widespread in central and south peninsular Florida. It can form dense colonies from its thick, bright orange rhizomes. This species was depicted by Dodge in 1893 (as S. guineensis (L.) Willd.) as a potential fiber crop and may have been introduced to Florida much earlier than 1893 (Henley 1982). The earliest specimen I have seen from Florida was collected by Britton in 1903 from âÂÂwaste placesâ in Key West (NY). I have not seen any herbarium specimens with fruits in Florida.

Here is a link that might be useful: Author:ALAN R. FRANCK, Univ South FL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laura1(9aTpa,FL)

As a Master Gardener I give a program on sansevieria. In research I found out about hyacinthoides. There are several sans that look similar but the bloom is distinct.
When i was first getting started i got a selection of plants from Bob Smoley and I got a hyacinthoides but it has yet to bloom.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 1:15PM
Solar_Storm(24 CA)

One of my S. hyacinthoides did bloom, but don't know if it came from FL stock. I probably took a photo of the inflorescence but all I can find is a 2008 photo of the fruit. I'll bet Bob Smoley's stock is the same as what grows wild in Florida. You can get a feel for the diameter of the rhizome by comparing it to the 1/2" wide label. I didn't plant the seed.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 5:39PM
laura1(9aTpa,FL)

it's fertile to boot

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 6:07PM
Solar_Storm(24 CA)

Not necessarily, the seeds might not have been viable. We'll never know.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 6:25PM
More Discussions
Does anyone know what cultivar this is?
Got this for 5 bucks at walmart. Its about 12inches...
tlbean2004
Sansevieria Whitney? at Ikea
My husband and I were at the South Philadelphia, PA...
akrrm
root in water - not working....
re-potted my oldest Sans a few weeks ago, and kind...
djliquidice
snake plant keeps dying
Greetings, my snake plant that I keep in a room (temperature...
cicak
So I planted a Sans. Rhizome & Look
Another wacky experiment of mine, here's what I got This...
pirate_girl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™