bought too many seeds - can i save them for next season?

mattkimeMarch 29, 2009

i bought a couple of thousands seeds through seedsavers.org. i live in booklyn - i have no idea what to do with all these seeds although it didn't seem like much when i ordered them.

will they keep for next year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi,
Yes, you can keep them for next year. Most seeds will keep for a few years or even longer. Only a few have a short life, the onion family and corn are two that I can think of that you might have got seeds of.
Store them in a cool dark dry spot in your home.
Remy

Bookmark   March 31, 2009 at 7:41AM
slo_garden(9 CA Coast)

Lettuce seed is the only one that I've had a problem getting to germinate after a year. (It is supposed to last several years. Go figure.) Everything else has been fine.

Bookmark   April 8, 2009 at 12:06PM
gpopovski

I saw a special on one of the sciencey tv networks in which people were able to grow varieties that had been extinct for half a century, because someone stored some seeds properly. Basically, they were kept in a dark, dry place. Of course, it's probably not the case for ALL seeds, but I know I've grown tomatoes, lettuce and acorn squash from old seeds before. (I just planted some acorn squash seeds that I harvested in 2004, what remains from what I used up last year, and I expect they should be fine). I stored my old seeds in an air-tight container. I don't know if this is even necessary, but it didn't seem to hurt them.

Bookmark   April 17, 2009 at 6:13PM
antioch_frank(5)

Greetings,

I have a bunch of seeds packages that range from 6 to 12 years old. They have been stored in a variety of places.

Please advise.

BestÂ

Frank

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 11:55PM
remy_gw

Frank,
Please start a new thread and post what types of seeds you have.
Thank you,
Remy

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 11:05PM
gardener_mary(6 MA)

Its important to keep them in a cool, dark, dry place. I keep mine in a container in the refrigerator. The germination rate will go down some each year, faster on somethings than others. Onion are said to only be able to be kept for 1 yr, I had a 5 yr old package with about 60 seed so I planted them (just to see) not thinking I would really get anything from them. 14 seeds germinated, thats almost 25%. So I would not count on most germinating when they start getting old, but I would not just discount them. I've also planted 3 15 yr old tomato seeds and had 2 of them germinate. If your using older seed its a little more of a gamble but like the lottery you never know if you don't try it. If more grow than you can use, you can always share.

Good gardening, Mary

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 5:32PM
More Discussions
How lonf do these last? Will they cross pollinate?
I have many types of seeds in a cardboard box in my...
pansyloverandgrower
Lantana Tangerine
I have a large, thriving shrub of this and I would...
merianna
Seed Harvesting & Cleaning Instructions
Jonna Sudenius has made these wonderful videos on seed...
phylis
crepe myrtle seeds
does anyone have any free pods or seeds to start my...
sandym646
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™