Seed Saving Reference(s)?

organicdan(z5b Nova Scotia)March 27, 2010

Which on-line reference(s) do you recommend?

Important information like plant spacing for seed saving, fermentation or hot water treatment recommendations, special treatments for over-wintering vernalization, etc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi Dan,
The best reference for veggies is not online, It is the book 'Seed to Seed' by Susan Ashworth. Online, I will Google specific plants hoping to find info. I'm not sure if there's a good online all around reference site. Of course doing a search of this forum or asking if no answer is found after searching usually works : )
Remy

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 7:21PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Ditto on Remy's recommendation. I would also add the book "Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties", by Carol Deppe.

Of the online seed saving references I've come across, this is one of the best. Dr. McCormack's information (most notably on the use of barrier crops) has been instrumental in establishing my own seed saving program.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saving Our Seeds

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 2:37AM
ABQ_Bob(USDA 5a/SS 2A)

I've been looking for the same kind of referance, either on-line or off. I like "Seed to Seed," but it's limited to veggies - I'm mainly a perennial/ornamental gardener and alas, there doesn't seem to be a good ref. for us.

My veggie garden is a little 10' square. I have two 200 foot fence-lines of border-beds that I'd like to harvest ornamental seed from.

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 12:39PM
remy_gw

ABQ Bob,
I did forget about The Seed Site in my first post! They do have a lot of great info there.
I think that there is no good reference book is because it would be too vast and complex to complete. With vegetables there is pretty much a set list of genera that we grow and so it easy to quantify and explain. With flowers it is an unending list! I know a heck of a lot about seed saving, but I still learn new stuff all the time.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: The Seed Site

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
How are most of you taking cuttings?
I am trying to take cuttings of some of the plants...
barb_roselover_in
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
New at this....How do I harvest parsley seeds
I have a healthy flat leaf parsley plant in my herb...
realtorrose
crepe myrtle seeds
does anyone have any free pods or seeds to start my...
sandym646
Seed Harvesting & Cleaning Instructions
Jonna Sudenius has made these wonderful videos on seed...
phylis
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™