collecting gazania seeds

beagly(z6PA)March 5, 2007

i collected seeds from the plants last year. i planted them early this year just to see what would happen!!! nothing!!! bought a pack of seeds. and they look nothing like what i planted.what went wrong...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trancegemini_wa(10b)

the ones you bought might have had the fluff removed. to plant seeds youve saved just push them into your mix and leave the fluffly end poking out above the soil. if the temperature was not warm enough though they may have rotted so its best to plant them in nice warm to hot temps.

Bookmark   March 7, 2007 at 10:58AM
gardenluv(8)

My gazanias last year thrived in HOT weather and little water. I don't plan on starting mine until mid to late April. I don't know what your weather is like, but I would wait until it is consistantly warm out.

Bookmark   March 28, 2007 at 12:14AM
salvora

I´ve collected seeeds from the plants out there in my town's public gardens. I chose buds that were totally dry, on dry stems too. The seed was in the centre of the flower and it was easy to remove (in fact, it flies with the wind).

Seed Appearance
The seed is covered by a fluffy bit that I find quite difficult to remove. In the past, I've bought gazania seed and I think manufacturers remove the fluffy cover. But I think it's not necessary to remove it. See below.

Seed Germination
I followed the instructions of dryscapes (see above): I put the seed in a jar with water. I couldn't make sure what the temperature was, but I put the jar next to the sunniest window in my house, so that the temperature was high.
My seeds were germinating in 24 hours.

I've been observing the process for a few days now, and this is what I know so far. The fluffy cover opens up and white end starts appearing. Eventually the seed breaks up the fluffy cover entirely.

When they get bigger I will put them in soil.

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 9:53AM
BigRockGardener

I know this thread is old but I just wanted to get some input:

On ehow.com it says not to collect seeds from nursery plants as they are hybrids and usually sterile. Does this make sense to anyone out there? Anyone out there have a different point of view or agree?

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 7:52PM
nana8(5)

Where do you suppose the nurseries get their seeds???
IT is true that SOME are hybrids, but those varieties can usually be started from cuttings of the original plant.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:48PM
randarand97

My gazanias last year thrived in HOT weather and little water. I don't plan on starting mine until mid to late April. I don't know what your weather is like, but I would wait until it is consistantly warm out.

Here is a link that might be useful: عÙÙ ÙÙدÙ

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 1:59PM
More Discussions
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
Organizing Seeds
Hello, I would love to hear how people organize their...
Robin282
Named variety Echinops true from seed?
Hi, I've been given some seedheads of what I think...
perennial2014
Seed Harvesting & Cleaning Instructions
Jonna Sudenius has made these wonderful videos on seed...
phylis
Bugs in seeds -) will freezing work?
Apparently a batch of small flying insects - rather...
suecirish
Sponsored Products
Lancaster Dining Table
Design Within Reach
Black Marble Soap Dispenser with Thermoplastic Resin Pump
TheBathOutlet
Armen Living Moulin Chair - LC21571PU
$926.00 | Hayneedle
Sail Away Outdoor Door Mat
Grandin Road
The Aspen Rustic Cherry Collection King/California King Headboard
Overstock.com