What salvia is this one?

ellieandethansmom(7)June 5, 2005

This is another double post from name that plant forum, it is a salvia that was overwintered from fall cutting. The leaves are fuzzy with a nice tall blue stalk of flowers. The leaves are staying very compact at the bottom. It is also suffering from something (yellowing leaves and slow growth). Thanks for any help.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wardw(z6 NJ)

I can see your problem. Perhaps it's salvia incomprehesibilis or stangii? Worst comes to worst, you get to name it. It does remind me a bit of Indigo Spires under some sort of stress.

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 11:22AM
DariotJr(z9)

I looks like S.'Blue Chiquita' to me. Actually 'Blue Chiquita' and 'Indigo Spires' share one parent, Salvia longispicata, so their flowers look a little bit similar. Check a pic of it in Plant Delights Nursery's website.

DJR from Athens, Greece

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Chiquita

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 12:02AM
ellieandethansmom(7)

Dariot, thanks for the link, the term "deep quilting" fits the leaves perfectly along with fuzzy texture, but they do not have the shiny silver underside. Maybe that develops over time . . . or if it is not struggling for life.

If it is Chiquita, and it survives the summer, I will need to bring it in for the winter--as it is out of my zone.

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 4:39PM
wardw(z6 NJ)

So if it is Chiquita, why is it blooming now? I guess it's possible as short daylight period salvias reach the end of their season. It's a puzzle.

By the way DJR, are new world salvias popular in Greek gardens, and who polinates them - sphinx moths?

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 12:02PM
DariotJr(z9)

This can happen happen sometimes, especially if you have an extended period of clouding and more often in small plants. Here in Greece, where we don't usually see many cloudy days from May till October I don't usually get this. But if you've been for example in San Francisco you can see most short daylight period salvias flowering year round! Maybe it is a combination of daylight and temperatures as well.

New world salvias are not very popular here, even though they do extremely well in our climate (I've been adding to my collection for the last 5 years and I never found one that couldn't grow well!). Only S.microphylla var.lemmonii is quite common in gardens.
Pollination happens by bees but only to those they can make it. They never set a lot of seeds.

On the other hand old world salvias and particularly our natives like fruticosa, sclarea, nemorosa etc. are quite popular.

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
Could you please help me identify this salvia?
Hi. A friend's mother gave me a division of this plant...
rross
How to prune Pineapple sage for winter
My Pineapple sage in pot is at the end of its blooming,...
Gofrsz
dormancy issue question on my salvia reptans?
All of my different salvia's are coming back now except...
loganlady
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
salvia clevelandii
decided to have another go at clevelandii this autumn....
davids10 z7a nv.
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™