Candy Land

seil zone 6b MIJuly 28, 2011

I finally did it! After 6 years and only ONE bloom (not one flush but ONE bloom in 6 yrs.!) I replaced the NEVER blooming Cl. Peace rose with a new climber. I cut all eight feet of it up into itty bitty pieces and threw it away! It felt very satisfying to do so.

So we went shopping for a new climber this spring. We had been looking at 4th of July for a while now but we saw it in bloom at several nurseries and Alan didn't care for it much. He's not partial to singles for one thing and he thought it looked messy. So we settled on Candy Land instead.

It has more petals and better form and I like the bright pink and yellow stripes!

Still in the pot in this pic but it's settled into the ground now and doing quite well giving me a second bloom.

I know I have a good 3 years to wait before it climbs but at least I'll get some blooms in the mean time!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Krista_5NY

I like the name, and the cheerful color, that's great!

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 5:10PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Hey, that looks like a winner!

After waiting so long for blooms, this rose will be truly intoxicating, won't it!

Kate

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 10:32PM
seil zone 6b MI

So do I, Krista!

Kate, you better believe it! You know I didn't check for fragrance! I'll have to check that out and let you know!

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 11:02PM
flaurabunda(6a, Central IL)

Absolutely yummy looking!

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 2:13PM
serenasyh(was 5/now Z 8-Kans)

hehe, yes, oh yes, flaurabunda and seil, Yummy! Such a pretty full bush cuteness too!

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 6:55PM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

That's really pretty and happy looking. I think it will make you smile whenever you see it. Good choice!!

Carol

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 6:58PM
seil zone 6b MI

Thanks!

Serena, you're a devil, lol!

Carol, it does make me smile! And it's putting on more buds now! Wow! From no blooms to twice in one season. I can hardly take it!

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 10:06PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I love it. Great choice- the color is delectable.
Renee

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 7:01PM
bethnorcal9

Good choice Seil!! Yours is really pumping them out. I've had mine for a few yrs, but it's in just a bit too much shade I think, cuz it never gets that many blooms in one flush!! Yours'll be gorgeous in the coming yrs!! As far as that climbing PEACE rose goes, that's very typical for a climbing sport of a bush rose. They never quite bloom as much as their non-climbing counterpart. They just put so much energy into growing those long canes. I remember my neighbor back at the mobile home park had a huge climbing PEACE along her front fence. It only ever bloomed once a yr in the early spring. And boy was it spectacular. She did absolutely nothing to it. The blooms were about 8" and always loaded with them for about a few weeks in late April-into-May. Then the rest of the yr it was an ugly thorny monster.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 11:51AM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Oooh, I'm jealous. I fell in love with the colors of this rose but don't have a place. But someday ...................

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 4:25PM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

What a darling rose. For some reason it reminds me of a striped camellia. I can't believe how much bloom you've already gotten on this small rose. What a stunner it will be when it's full-grown. Great choice!

Ingrid

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 12:36AM
seil zone 6b MI

Thank you all!

Beth, the president of my rose society keeps teasing me because he has a Cl. Peace that blooms it's fool head off! The brat! But I think this one may out bloom him!

Iris, I will keep you posted on how well it does for me so when you find a spot you'll know what to expect! Well, sort of since you're in CA and I'm in MI, lol!

Ingrid, you're right! The bloom form does have a sort of camellia shape!

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 4:07PM
More Discussions
Randy Scott (A Great White HT)
This beautiful white HT came out in 2008 and we got...
ron_and_susan
Books, Wine and Roses Roseart
I used 6 roses (Mostly Red) on this work where I added...
ron_and_susan
Name that rose game!
I know we already have a whole thread dedicated to...
kublakan
Wheee!! February roses for Las Vegas
the roses that went in late spring last year are now...
lorrihz
A girl and her roses!! Lol
A bunch of roses I cut this morning!! Enjoy!!
Prettypetals_GA_7-8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™