salvia with purple flowers

ramazz(8a VA)June 28, 2007

Here is another one I am not sure of. It is more upright than transylvanica and the flowers are a bit more purple than blue. I planted seeds for hians, forskaohlei and przewalskii, but it doesn't look like a match for any of those.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

It is definitely Section Plethiosphace, which includes pratensis, transsylvanica, nererosa, and a lot of others. This is what I imagined transsylvanica to look like.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 8:27PM
ramazz(8a VA)

So I guess I have a lot of variation in the transylvanica seeds. The other plants are not nearly so upright - actually rather floppy - and the flowers on this one are more purple.

Becky

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 10:07PM
hummersteve

Becky--- The leaves on that plant are similar to the leaves on my foxglove that the bees seem to like so it must have a good deal of nectar. I didnt do well with my agastache this spring , but I know what my problem was , overwatering, but Im determined to have the shades of orange and I germinated more since I had the seeds . I now have six 4 and 1/2 inch pots of them that are doing well growing and looking good. Good luck to me on this batch.

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 12:25PM
brenda_near_eno(Z7a)

Looks like my transsylvanica

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 4:33AM
CA Kate

WOW! my one didn't look like that!

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 7:03PM
ramazz(8a VA)

Well, I have a lot more transsylvanicas than I thought I did. All but this one look the same and are more sprawling, and have bluer flowers. That is why I thought it might be something else. I am beginning to think that some of my seeds were mislabeled, since I don't recall having that many transsylvanica seedlings.

Steve - it is definitely a salvia - it is from Eastern Europe, so it looks different than the B&Bs and coccineas.

Becky

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 9:43PM
shari1332(z7NC)

I grew my transsylvanica from Burpee seeds and they do not look like the one pictured above. Mine spawl and do not have any leaves as large as those basal leaves.

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 5:26PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

I checked my old scanned images and found some of Salvia baldshuanica Lipsky from Tajikistan that looks identical to your plant.

There is a downloadable PDF of biodiversity of Tajikistan (Part III, English version) which mentions this sage at
http://www.cbd.int/doc/world/tj/tj-nr-01-p03-en.pdf

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 6:35PM
ramazz(8a VA)

I am just back from vacation and saw this. I am not sure what to label this plant now! I have two of them which are producing a ton of seeds and I don't want to confuse other people! I have never heard of Salvia baldshuanica but if you say that's what is is, Rich, I will go ahead and change the name on my list.

Becky

Bookmark   August 8, 2007 at 11:52AM
More Discussions
CA Sages in Bloom
There's a canyon I jog through that is full of sages....
anygreen
Salvia apiana Gall
Seen mostly on Salvia apiana stems and leaves but to...
anygreen
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
dormancy issue question on my salvia reptans?
All of my different salvia's are coming back now except...
loganlady
Please help me ID this yellow flower. Salvia family?
Hi, My friend found this plant and wanted to know what...
foxyfoliageinc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™