Newbie question

clairabelle(z4 Quebec)July 2, 2013

Hello fellow green thumbers :D
Yes, I have a green thumb, but for the life of me, I just can't seem to keep my sans longer than a few years.

My latest plant, approx. 4 yrs old, is doing what all the others did, so I'm assuming it's something I AM doing wrong...

Stems become "weak" over time and literally fall out of the pot at the slightest touch.

It receives indirect light and I water only occasionally. Pot is the right size and it has good drainage. Could it be the exposure? My sans have never flowered...
Doctor, Doctor! Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Sounds like it's losing its roots, like root rot. I suspect it's a drainage / mix problem. That doesn't seem like such a short time to me (4 yrs.), but that's not normal behavior for them (collapsing stem).

Pls. tell what's in your mix & how are you sure it's got good drainage?

Mine don't flower either, but that's not the issue, nor do I believe exposure is the problem.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 6:45PM
KatherynIridaceae

Do you repot every so often? Have you repotted recently? And either way, what mix did you pot them in?

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 7:22PM
clairabelle(z4 Quebec)

I bought this sans at my favourite (reputable) garden centre so I'm sure their mix is appropriate. The plant's in a plastic pot which is in another pot (clay) and I put wine corks in the bottom of the clay pot for additional drainage so the roots would not lie in water. As I mentioned, I water sporadically, so I don't think its too MUCH water (maybe not enough?). The stems seem to get weak, some flop over, and I removed 2 this past weekend that I was trying to "prop up".
The plant has not been transplanted since I bought it (adequate pot size for the size of the plant).

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 7:24PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Is the garden center a greenhouse? If so, could be a different mix for that. We really need a pic pls.

Wait, is the mix 4 yrs. old? Or do I misunderstand?

If so, it could be the mix has hardened off completely impeding the plant from drinking, or there's little mix even left in the pot.

Wow, I just noticed there's Spellcheck on here now -- yipppeeee, thank you GW!!!

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 12:57AM
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

Keep giving good advise Karen. Wow spell check. That will save me a few steps.
Clairabelle,
Any sign of root mealies or any other problem like fungus? I have had Sans in the same pots for many years and never did anything to them. So I think it must be a tempature thing or something you are doing?

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 6:22AM
clairabelle(z4 Quebec)

How do I post a pic? Directly from my computer? (excuse my French!)

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 9:44AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Right above where you type below to post is a "browse" button for including a pic.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 1:58PM
clairabelle(z4 Quebec)

Duh! Should have opened my eyes... on the end of my nose :S

I'm thinking I should a) move the plant to a brighter location (it's presently near the kitchen door in low light) and b) water a bit more often (I was currently only watering once a month), and see how that goes.

I looked the soil over carefully and it was reallllly dry. I removed one of the drooping stems to examine the roots and the ball was intact and very dry, so... perhaps it's a case of "not enough water" rather than too much?

I'll follow this closely for a month of so and come back to report. Thanks to all of you for your support! YOU ROCK! :D

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 9:52AM
More Discussions
snake plant keeps dying
Greetings, my snake plant that I keep in a room (temperature...
cicak
snake plant in low light
anyone have any luck growing a snake plant in low light?...
jay83
HELP!!! My snake plant is dying
Hi I have a big problem with my snake plants. Please...
mrjoss
sansevieria pups wanted (the TALL variety)
just curious if anyone can send me a sansevieria pup...
jay83
new sans
Along with the orchid cactus I picked up this little...
bkempress
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™