Storage

webuser_17497April 9, 2012

Ok so i have read quite a few post where ya'll have germinated and planted seeds that were 1 year to 15 years old. what are you keeping them in, and how are you storring them. i know that i will be moveing in 18 months to 2 years and i would love the bring some of my plants with me, i know i cant take them all but if i start now i know that i can at lest bring the seeds.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WinstonL(10a)

Hi Devonfawn,

Seed storage life depends on a few main factors: the type of seed, the temperature the seed is stored, and the humidity in which it's stored. Some seeds, like onion or parsnip, regardless of how they're stored, are typically only viable for a couple years. Others, like brassicas, when stored properly can last ten years or more.

The main rules of thumb are cold, dark, & dry. Before putting saved seed in long-term storage, be sure they are completely dry. If you plan on storing seed for a long period of time, not accessing it often, the freezer is a great place for this. I like to store seed in canning jars.

My friends at All Good Things www.agtoseeds.com store their seeds in canning jars in a climate controlled room at @ 55ÃÂF and @ 25% relative humidity. Ideally, the FÃÂ temp + % RH shouldn't be above 100. Also, seed lose viability very quickly when exposed to temps above 80ÃÂ F.

Just make sure the seeds are completely dry, then store them in a cold, dark place in a sealed container and you should be set!

Hope this helps,
Winston

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 11:22AM
More Discussions
Seed Harvesting & Cleaning Instructions
Jonna Sudenius has made these wonderful videos on seed...
phylis
Gumbo Limbo-Bursera simaruba seeds
Does anyone know where I can purchase Gumbo Limbo seeds?...
dudeabides1389
list of seeds that don't cross pollinate?
does anyone know what seeds do not cross pollinate?...
slm2118
need help with seed saving winnowing
saved these seed how do I winnow?
Wild Haired Mavens
Lupinus perennis seeds (already stratified)
anyone know a source for sundial lupine seeds (already...
puffkit
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™