Sans Back to Ruscaceae?

Solar_Storm(24 CA)July 10, 2013

Earlier in July 2013 I attended the CSSA Convention in Austin TX. Among the speakers was Len Newton (prof of microbiology at Kenyatta Univ. in Kenya. Len spoke on the 5 arboresscent Sans species; S. arborescens, S. powysii, S. bagamoyensis, S. ascendens, and S. powellii. See flicker link for photos. But during his talk he mentioned that in his revised article for the Illustrated Handbook of Succulent Plants - Monocots, he is moving the sans back to ruscaceae. Jut thought some you would like to be informed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Five Arborescent Sans species

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonsaigai(NY Zone 6)

I didn't even consider powysii and powellii to be in that group. Interesting, as I have both. Now I have to take a better look at them. I'd like to read the article. Maybe it will be in the Sans Journal. Thank you for the link. Good picture.

Michael
Interlaken NY Z6

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 7:36AM
Solar_Storm(24 CA)

Prof Newton said the reason he was moving Sans back to Ruscaceae was because of recent genetic studies in TX (UT or A&M?). He went on to say plant taxonomy is rapidly being revised as a result of these studies. I too hope to see articles on genetic studies in the ISS Journal.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 11:12AM
norma_2006

If the Sans. Journal says so and only then. Dr.Len Newton is the one to ask. I don't change my labels. Norma

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 12:54AM
norma_2006

Then I just may change my labels, there is no rush to do so. It also says if a plant had that name and it's been accepted for many years, it is not wise to do so, It will take 50 yeard to convience us to do so. I am still having problems with a Kalanchoe trysiflora, and luacae one has yelolow flowers and one white. Both extremely different. The one with the golden yellow flowers smell sweetly and hard to find to buy. Norma

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 1:07AM
Solar_Storm(24 CA)

Unless you include the plant Family on your labels, no changes in plant names would be implied. This taxonomy is from wikipedia.

Kingdom: Plantae
Clade: Angiosperms
Clade: Monocots
Order: Asparagales
Family: Asparagaceae
Subfamily: Nolinoideae
Genus: Sansevieria

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 11:59AM
norma_2006

I'm sorry to hear that news, I hope it only aplies to those spedies, for 20 Years I used those names. I just hate when they change the the names back and forth. Well now they have something to write about. Norma

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 8:14PM
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

I have always said this, I wish they would list all Sans by their genetic DNA. Their was a similar study done on bulbs in 'Bulbs of the World'. I found this in the Great Lakes Bulb Society. It list all family of bulbs and how they were related. Which helps in hybridizing. Which plants can cross with other plants. It may list which is a species and which is a hybrid or cross. Such a study would cost a lot of money and time. It would be a great undertaking.

It would place which Sans was the start of it all and list all the branches of the family to follow.

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 10:46AM
More Discussions
Photo album (for Sans)
Using the "project" thingie on here, I made...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Newly aquired friends
Hi All, I just got these two freinds. Is one of them...
Sans2014
Is my Whitney ok? What should I do?
On of the favorites in my modest collection, my new...
vivaria
root in water - not working....
re-potted my oldest Sans a few weeks ago, and kind...
djliquidice
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™