How can I tell whether saved spuds are disease-free?

joannaqcw(NY 4/5)April 3, 2012

Last year my potatoes lived and died healthily, as far as I could see. My tomatoes got a bad case of early blight after the potato tops died. I dug potatoes before frost and only thought later about whether this could allow blight spores to infest the tubers. The potatoes we've eaten this winter haven't shown characteristic early blight lesions--they look healthy (better than what often get from the ag store). If they don't have visible blight damage after a year in storage can I assume they are healthy and replant them, or am I inviting another round of early blight? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Joanna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

The fungus that causes Early Blight can over-winter in just about anything; soil, leaf debris, surrounding weeds, etc. It doesn't require live tissue.

It is the fungus that causes Late Blight, a much more serious disease, that can only over-winter in live tissue such as potatoes. Preventing the spread of LB is the reason for the caution against using untreated, stored seed potatoes.

So if you are sure the disease you had was Early Blight then you could use your potatoes. If not, then it is best to buy new seed potatoes.

Standard recommendation is to treat your own stored potatoes with a fungicide before planting to improve the odds against possible problems but that doesn't appeal to some folks.

Dave

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 9:17AM
More Discussions
Extra Ghost Pepper Seeds
I have around 50 extra seeds to trade with. I know...
T S
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
Chaenomeles (Quince) shrub- info please
Hi guys! Yesterday I cracked open the fruit from my...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Organizing Seeds
Hello, I would love to hear how people organize their...
Robin282
need help with seed saving winnowing
saved these seed how do I winnow?
Wild Haired Mavens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™