Pups everywhere! - Pot sizes?

Mister_AJuly 20, 2014

Hi there... At the beginning of winter, I bought a hahnii/bird's nest snakeplant in a 4" pot. It was two similarly-sized pups, each over 4" wide, crammed and looking like they were strangling each other. I thought the merciful thing to do was divide it immediately. I put it into a pair of 6" pots, mixing some cactus soil with the heavier soil that it had come to me in.

I'm new to snakeplants, and my hope that they would each fill the pots with two nice, even-looking bird's nests. Both plants settled in nicely on my window and tried to send up a new leaf, but this stopped and now I see that each one has *4* rapidly-growing pups tight up against the plant, far more than I would have expected given the size of the pots. I'm really happy they're doing so well, but t's going to get crowded in there very soon.

Did I overestimate how large of a pot these two plants needed? If my goal is larger, fuller individual plants, should I divide again (once these pups are established) and put them into 4" or even 3" pots, or is there no use in fighting this and I should just let it happen? If I go that route and it fills the current pots, do I need to prepare for even more pups off the pups if I end up replanting in a couple of years? Thanks for any advice.

This post was edited by Mister_A on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 22:05

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6

What advise could I give? You have grown these plants excellently and they are rewarding you with pups. Sound like everything is going great for you. You could try the harder sibling, S.t. hahnii 'Gold Hahnii'. They are more finicky and most difficult to multiply.
Stush

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 10:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mister_A

They are thriving, for sure, and I'm happy that I seem to be treating them right. I am just surprised at how aggressive they are about multiplying.

I guess my question is whether or not it would be worthwhile to divide and "pot down" to discourage pups. I'd just like to have a 1 healthy bird's nest in the pot, rather than 5 crushing each other.
The two plants at very nearly their current size were in a 4" pot. If I divide, I am considering putting them back into 4" pots. (The parent plants are probably 2"-2.5" wide at the base, 6" wide at the crown, 5" tall.)

If I do this, can I expect the mama plants to behave and stop pupping, or will even this likely continue multiplying no matter what I do as long as they are healthy?

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 1:21PM
More Discussions
Sansevieria from seed
Does anyone know a good method to sprout Sansevieria...
foxwichya
Newly aquired friends
Hi All, I just got these two freinds. Is one of them...
Sans2014
New Sans, need ID please!
I purchased 3 new Sansevieria today, and need a little...
greybird_keke
Sansevieria Whitney? at Ikea
My husband and I were at the South Philadelphia, PA...
akrrm
Help
What's wrong with my sansevieria? Can I do anything...
savana3
Sponsored Products
Crosley 3-Piece Pub Dining Set with Turned Leg and X-Back Stools - KD320009CH
$329.00 | Hayneedle
Eastwood Single Arm Sofa - Key Largo Grass Green
Joybird Furniture
New Stunning Navy Balouch Runner 3'x9' Hand Knotted Persian Wool Rug P830
BH Sun Inc
Accu-Gold Memory Foam Mattress 8-inch California King-size Bed Sleep System
Overstock.com
Ikat Zig Zag Empire Lamp Shade 6x12x8 (Spider)
$59.91 | Lamps Plus
Elden Rug 3'9" x 5'9" - MOCHA
$299.00 | Horchow
Milos Fitted Sheet
$649.00 | FRONTGATE
Purple & Pink Sofia the First Graceful Sheet Set
$18.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™