foamy stuff on salvia

prairie_love(z3/4 ND)June 7, 2010

Hi,

My Salvias - May Night and Caradonna - are just starting to come into full bloom here in North Dakota and I've noticed a foamy/sudsy stuff on the flower stems. Can anyone tell me what this is? I'm assuming it's from an insect or disease, but can't find it by searching google.

I am out of town right now, but if this description doesn't lead us to an answer I can take a photo when I return.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
desertsage(7b USDA Sunset 10)

Spittle bug egg masses. I sometimes get them on S. greggii. Just hose them off.

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 11:06AM
jimcrick

The nymph stage of the froghopper (aka spittlebug) protects itself from predators by covering itself with the 'foam' you describe. As a youngster (which in my heart I still am) I knew the foam by the name 'cuckoo spit'. You can either either remove the foam by hand and give the nymph a terminal squeeze or hose the foam and nymph off as desertsage suggests although the creature is quite nimble and it may return. A systemic insecticide gives a long term prevention.

Jim

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 2:34PM
dicot

I've fought them for years and seen quite a bit of damage done by the nymphs as they attack the plant's xylem layer and I wouldn't suggest either hosing or a systemic. As noted, they are mobile enough to quickly return if hosed off. The problem with systemics are the damage they do to the beneficals and the hummingbirds and other wildlife that are drawn to 'May Night' and other sages.

Handpicking and K-based insecticidal soap application are my suggestions. For the insecticidal soap, a strong stream is necessary to penetrate the foam and kill the nymph.

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 4:56PM
prairie_love(z3/4 ND)

Thank you all!

LOL at the name - spittle bug - how fitting!

I hate to use systemics for the reasons cited by dicot, so will probably try the hosing first. If that doesn't work I'll move to the insecticidal soap.

Handpicking - I'm not sure what I'm looking for but will do a google search and figure it out.

Thanks again.

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 6:56PM
dicot

Oops, all I meant by "handpicking" is using your fingers to squish the bugs. It grosses most people out, but it's how I kill most of the spittle bug nymphs.

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 8:24PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Here's what you're looking for. This one is about 1/8" long.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 12:36AM
More Discussions
Salvia Friesland or butterfly bush??? Need help identifying this photo
Please help me identify the pink perennial in front...
landscaping2014
salvia discolor
I have been able to overwinter my salvia discolor in...
duane456
Salvia Seed Sowing here's how:
I've been noticing several questions about salvia seed...
Salvia_guy
Salvia X Trident Questions
How should I treat this one. Like a hot desert Salvia....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Skin irritation from Mexican bush sage?
Whenever I prune our Mexican bush sage, I break out....
hollybegonia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™