I collected my first seeds tonight!

lat4005(7b)April 24, 2011

I am so excited! I just collected my first seeds tonight!!! I think I now have a better understanding of what to look for so I am going to be on a seed hunting mission this spring/summer. This is fun and kind of addicting! I can't even remember the name of the plant but I got 2 of them at the beginning of March. It reminds me of a daisy but it is white with a purple center. Going to hunt for the tag tonmorrow when I have some daylight.

Now, if I were to plant these seeds now (just to see if I did this right) would they actually grow or do I have to wait until next year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Astroknot(10a)

Hmmm, not sure about that. Maybe it depends on the plant. Some seeds require special treatment before they will germinate (drying out, chilling, etc). But, maybe as an experiment you could try both planting a few seeds right away and drying/preserving the rest for later? I don't think you'd need to wait until next year.

I feel your excitement about collecting your first seeds! It's very addictive, you have been warned!

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 2:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

I figured out how to collect the seeds from my Rose Campion plant tonight. I've been reading all about looking for self sowers and haven't found any. Today I was getting ready to deadhead and I noticed that some of the seed pods looked a different color and were dried up and there looked like a seed in top of pod, so I got myself a paper bowl out of the garage cabinet, and turned that dried pod upside down and shook it a bit and all these little seeds come falling out. Yippee! I looked for more and then it started to sprinkle and thunder and lightning so I will check again tomorrow. I was so excited and I had learned last week how to collect the Sweet William seeds. I've known about how to collect bee balm and marigold seeds for years. Learned about columbine seeds last year or year before that.

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 10:38PM
More Discussions
mini pumpkins
I bought my daughter one of those miniature pumpkins...
triple_b
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
Need help on keeping seeds True
If I want to collect Petunia seeds to grow the following...
longknife
Which plants stay true to the parent?
I'm saving seeds for the first time this year. I know...
paloaltomark
Recently read about a ''caffeine soak'' to get seed to germinate.
I recently read about a mention of a ''caffeine soak''...
albert_135
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™