Hand pollinating in book Seed to Seed?

rosegarden3(5)April 2, 2013

I would say I'm an intermediate gardener. I have had a vegetable garden for many years with varying degrees of success. I've learned a lot along the way. This year I would like to start saving my own seeds. As usual when I have a gardening question the first place I turned was to this forum. I have learned so much from here. From my search on here I have found lots of great advice on seed saving, most of all I have found several references to a book called "Seed to Seed". I found it on amazon and it is on its way. However in my search I have also found may references to hand pollination. So my question is, does the book "Seed to Seed" cover hand pollination? or is there another book on that that I should purchase?

Thanks
Rosie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi Rosie,
If you have not received it yet, it does discuss how to hand pollinate where necessary like with squash.
Another book to think about especially of you are really interested in all of this is 'Breed Your Own Vegetables Varieties' by Carol Deppe.
Remy

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 8:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linzelu100(7a)

I second 'Breed Your Own Vegetables Varieties' by Carol Deppe. I have Seed to Seed and use that for my seed saving needs. She describes how to save corn seed very detailed and I am using that now, which is helpful. But I love Deppe's books because they are so detailed on the why's and how's that even someone who didn't have gardening experience could understand how to hand pollinate. You could find it at your library, but you will probably use her books so much, you will probably want your own copies.

Lindsey

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
Seed Saving: Marguerite Daisy
I have a marguerite daisy that is beginning to set...
frugal_gardening
When to expect sunflowers to form seeds?
When can I expect my sunflowers to form seeds? I was...
invisigoth
Bugs in seeds -) will freezing work?
Apparently a batch of small flying insects - rather...
suecirish
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
Extra Ghost Pepper Seeds
I have around 50 extra seeds to trade with. I know...
T S
Sponsored Products
Bristol Chenille Rod Pocket Valance Pair
Overstock.com
Serena & Lily Broad Stripe Dhurrie
Serena & Lily
Diva Silver Gold and Crystal 18" Wide Corbett Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Crystorama Legacy Chandelier - 34.5W in. English Bronze - 5190-EB-CL-MWP
Hayneedle
Classic Home Furniture - 65" Augustine Plasma TV Stand - 52001315
Great Furniture Deal
New HQ Heriz Free Pad Deep Red Veg Dyed 4'x6' Hand Knotted Wool Floral Rug H5839
BH Sun Inc
All-Clad 6-pc. Cook Serve Tool Set
$99.95 | FRONTGATE
Twin Lanai Pique Coverlet 72" x 92" - WHITE/ PINK
$159.90 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™