Salvia Identification

jgwoodard(USDA z7 TN)June 6, 2006

I have seen these in bloom lately and would love to know what they are. I'm curious if they are native to East Asia or not. They are naturalized in Korea near a stream I frequent and are actually quite showy in mass. They are far more colorful (pink/violet markings) than the photos show. For some reason my camera portrays them as white-ish. They appear pink to the eye and have dark rosy-violet coloration on the flower stalks. Currently, the plants are about two feet tall on average. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Joseph

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

I'm pretty sure these are a Stachys species - the third largest genus of the Labiatae after Salvia and Scutellaria. Note the four stamens in the flower at position 4:30 on the spike in the lower image. It looks a lot like some of the California species, many of which are stoloniferous (bearing runners). Stachys floridus of Florida is a nursery and garden pest.

Bookmark   June 6, 2006 at 10:59PM
robinmi_gw

I also think that this may be not a Salvia, but beautiful pictures nevertheless.

Regards, Robin.

Bookmark   June 7, 2006 at 6:25PM
jgwoodard(USDA z7 TN)

Thanks so much. Labiatae is not a family I know much about, but I do find it interesting. These plants do seem to be fairly aggressive/successful as it can be seen throughout the area on either side of the stream. Perhaps they do increase by stolons. I'll have a closer look next time.

Bookmark   June 8, 2006 at 12:44AM
jgwoodard(USDA z7 TN)

I'm almost certain it's Stachys riederi var. japonica. Apparently it is used for medicinal purposes in East Asia. An interesting plant, probably hardy to zone 4 at least. Thanks again for the help.

Regards,
Joseph

Here is a link that might be useful: Stachys riederi

Bookmark   June 8, 2006 at 1:44AM
More Discussions
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
S. clevelandii - Some leaves longer than others
I got a Salvia clevelandii (possibly a hybrid) about...
JohnCox
help identify this plant please!!!
Hi fellow garden enthusiasts! Can anyone help me identify...
sabine77
Salvia regla 'Mt. Emory' source?
I am looking for a source of Salvia regla "Mt....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
how to pollinate Salvia wagneriana
Hi, Received this as a cutting and it has mushroomed...
seedmoney
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™