Morning Glory will NOT make seeds

xenofenix(La/ Zone 9)May 27, 2008

Everyone says how they are "profilic reseeders" and how they just make too darn many. Well, I have had mine for a month or two now, and finally they are starting to bloom here and there. But, after the flowers wither, all I am left with is a dead flower, no seed or anything. Unlike my marigold which made a dozen seeds on one flower, these morning glories have indeed saddened me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi,
Sometimes first blooms on plants don't seem to develop seeds. I'm not sure why. If you keep seeing that no seedpods are forming, go out with a little paint brush in the morning and pollinate the flowers yourself. It may seem silly, but it works : )
Remy

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 6:50PM
xenofenix(La/ Zone 9)

Erm, is there a guide to this? I know how plants get pollinated, but I don't know the details. What do I have to do?

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 11:42PM
remy_gw

Hi again,
It is easy : ) With a small brush, just dab the pollen from flower to flower. Enough pollen will stick to the brush so as you move from flower to flower, you will get pollination. If you don't have a tiny brush, I bet a q-tip would work too.
Remy

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 9:22AM
xenofenix(La/ Zone 9)

Thank you! I used this technique with my Marigold. It soon started to shrivel up and I must admit, I was worried. Then it started to dry up and cover the flower. But how do I know when it is ready to come off now?

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 9:45AM
remy_gw

Hi again,
Wait until the pod dries up. This may take awhile. It will loose its color and become papery. Don't worry about the seeds coming out. It is the type of plant that holds onto them for some time.
The morning glory pods are the same way.
Remy

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
Bugs in seeds -) will freezing work?
Apparently a batch of small flying insects - rather...
suecirish
Extra Ghost Pepper Seeds
I have around 50 extra seeds to trade with. I know...
T S
Chaenomeles (Quince) shrub- info please
Hi guys! Yesterday I cracked open the fruit from my...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Recently read about a ''caffeine soak'' to get seed to germinate.
I recently read about a mention of a ''caffeine soak''...
albert_135
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™