help!!!!!!!!!! are my seeds a lost cause??

mushbanana(z10)May 15, 2005

hey yall....sosomething horrible happend this week...my garden got ripped apart...lieterally,almost nothng is left in the ground...but i had a bunch of raddish aND arugula and cilantro plants going to seed, that have good sized, but green pods on them...i gathered them allup and hung them upseide down to dry...but my question is this: if theyare green when harvested, can theydry and reach full maturity out of the ground,or are my seeds a lost cause?????????

please write and let me know asap!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magus(8a BC)

It depends on how mature they were when they got ripped out. If you dry them and they stay green for good, then they probably aren't. It might help if you put the seed stalks in water instead of drying them, at least give them a little extra time to "feed". But even if they stay green, it never hurts to give them a try anyway. I've had green seeds I was almost convinced were useless that germinated, usually poorly, but, germinated, sometimes a lot, like they were already ripe.

Bookmark   May 15, 2005 at 7:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
webkat5(Z6a MO)

Putting the stalks in water is the best advice...I put a stem of flowering Morning Glory in water and it produced mature seeds.

Bookmark   May 17, 2005 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?
I already posted the following to the vegetable forum,...
cousinfloyd
Lantana Tangerine
I have a large, thriving shrub of this and I would...
merianna
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
Extra Ghost Pepper Seeds
I have around 50 extra seeds to trade with. I know...
T S
Jackmanii Clematis
I have a Jackmanii clematis out back that has seeds...
uptomyeyeballs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™