Identification:Plant Similar to Salvia hispanica(Chia Pet)

newbie8961July 8, 2013

Hi, I am new to botany and gardening and IâÂÂm looking for a species or speciesâ of plants that have similar features of the popular Chia Pet (Salvia hispanica):

1. A relatively short germination time.
  2. Short plant height, about 2-3inches(not strictly speaking). Although I realized that Salvia hispanica grows much larger if planted.
  3. A thick ground cover like appearance.
    4.Grows indoors.
    However, unlike a Chia Pet I would like more longevity from the species compared to the 3-4 week life of a Chia Pet, ideally something that would stay small for a couple months. Would I be correct in assuming that, the smaller the species of plant, the longer the germination and slower growing?
    I am in the process of planting Dichondra repens and Irish Moss (Sagina Subulata) as an experiment as they fit the type of look I would like to achieve.

As mentioned, IâÂÂm new to this field and trying to narrow down possible choices from thousands of plant species globally which I have little knowledge of. I figured this would be a good place to start.

Any suggestions would be welcome; it could be any available plant species that fit characteristicâÂÂs similar to a Chia Pet.

Thank you for your time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robinmi_gw

Don't think there are any Salvias 2-3 inches tall, sorry.

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 6:00PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

You might have better luck with a more generalist group. Maybe the North American Rock Garden Society.

There aren't many Salvia seeds available in the quantity you may need. Salvia hispanica is used as a food source (grain), and that may be a thread or approach you may be able to pursue with profit.

Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 9:17AM
Siir(9a)

You're looking to make a "perennial" chia pet, hm? I think Corsican Mint might work well. It just wants a moister growing environment than Chia.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 6:41PM
newbie8961

Thanks Siir, thats a great suggestion,Corsican Mint is definitely worth looking into. It fits what Im looking for so I'll be sure to try to germinate some seed.

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 12:13AM
More Discussions
Salvia X Trident Questions
How should I treat this one. Like a hot desert Salvia....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
California Native Sage Festival--March 28, 2015
At Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden in Claremont, Ca....
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
Salvia ID
I can't remember which salvia this is. I planted "maraschino...
rubyhum
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
Sponsored Products
Allium Grass
$635.00 | Horchow
ViaVolt 2 ft. T5 High 4-Bulb Output Black Fluorescent Grow Light Fixture with Ti
Home Depot
Willowbrush Pendant
Lightology
Brown Side Table
Grandin Road
Gandia Blasco | Sahara Planter 3
YLiving.com
Limelight Planter
$19.99 | Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™