saving Hollyhock seeds!

little_dani(9, S. Tex Coast)May 8, 2006

My friend in Idaho sent me some hollyhock seeds last year. I planted some of them in my vegetable garden, and I was so excited, THEY GREW!

This year, they really took off! The plants are 9'8" tall, and they have been covered with big ruby colored flowers for over a month! People stop on the road to look at them, they are so unusual here on the Texas Gulf Coast.

Now we are getting a lot of seed pods forming, and I want to save the seeds,of course. What is the best way to do this? I mean, is there anything peculiar about hollyhock seeds that I should know? Do they need to be planted immediately? How long are they viable?

TIA

Janie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nurmey(5 Omaha, NE)

HH seeds are very easy to harvest, dry, and save.
When the pods turn brown and papery, they're ripe. I snip off the pods individually as they become ripe.
Weevils will lay eggs in the seeds so it's a good idea to put the seeds in a airtight container (or ziploc bag) and put in the freezer for a few days to kill the little buggers.
Dry the seeds really well or they can mold.
If dried properly, they are viable for a couple (or more) years.

Bookmark   May 9, 2006 at 10:42PM
little_dani(9, S. Tex Coast)

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Janie

Bookmark   May 10, 2006 at 3:48PM
tracey_nj6(6)

I doubt you'll get any better advice! Someone had sent me hollyhock seeds in a plastic baggie. It freaked me out when I saw the seed moving one day; luckily I didn't put them away right away! I put it in the freezer for 2 weeks to kill them. I've gotten in the habit of putting any and all hollyhock seed that I harvest in the freezer for a few weeks. I also state that on my seed packets; that they've already been pre-chilled, which they need to germinate anyway ;)

Bookmark   May 11, 2006 at 10:25AM
More Discussions
crepe myrtle seeds
does anyone have any free pods or seeds to start my...
sandym646
New at this....How do I harvest parsley seeds
I have a healthy flat leaf parsley plant in my herb...
realtorrose
Lantana Tangerine
I have a large, thriving shrub of this and I would...
merianna
Extra Ghost Pepper Seeds
I have around 50 extra seeds to trade with. I know...
T S
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™