Lantanas

katliketheefMay 12, 2006

I bought a little Lantana, the ones Im used to seeing down here with the yellow and pink flowers, from Walmart, and now I also have a yellow one growing in one of the flower beds that I didnt plant..it was a pleasant surprise, I like Lantanas...but how do I save the seeds from them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pmad(KY)

from what I have read, they are really hard to start from seed. Although I don't recall how anyone harvested the seed

Bookmark   May 25, 2006 at 2:22PM
teresabo(4MN)

It's fairly easy to harvest. The form little berries - about 1/4 inch+ each. They turn really dark purple when ripe. The seed is a sizeable pit inside the berry. I had about 30% germination on the ones I saved last year. Not great-

Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 7:34PM
crazybloomers

Okay, so I bought one from walmart, too and it suddenly wasn't blooming anymore and has these green balls all over it-where there were blooms-those are seeds? Why did it suddenly go completely to seed? I see I collect them when they go purple, but what can I do to encourage it to bloom again? Thanks!
Kerstin

Bookmark   May 28, 2006 at 1:53AM
rae_in_texas(7b/8)

Kerstin,

Deadhead, deadhead, deadhead. I just whack mine with scissors until all the seed pods have been cut off. Mine are in back, so I don't have to be pretty about it. You may want to be a little more artistic than I am. The yellow do bloom best; it seems my pink/lavender one needs to be deadheaded more often.

-Rae

Bookmark   June 8, 2006 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
Jackmanii Clematis
I have a Jackmanii clematis out back that has seeds...
uptomyeyeballs
Gumbo Limbo-Bursera simaruba seeds
Does anyone know where I can purchase Gumbo Limbo seeds?...
dudeabides1389
Lantana Tangerine
I have a large, thriving shrub of this and I would...
merianna
Ruellia/Mexican Petunia
There has to be a trick to saving these. I know they...
poisondartfrog
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™