S. forreri flowers - the blue and pink ones

dave_olympia(7B)July 25, 2012

I wasn't expecting this, both blue and pink flowers on the same plant, propagated from seed this spring. Not much info about this one. I hope it's as hardy as arizonica. Sorry about the really bad picture, ones on the upper right and lower left are a light pink. The only other possibility is 2 seedlings planted together - that could've happened, I guess. David

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wardda

Can't help you with the two colored salvia but I am curious. I have been considering growing arizonica for several years now and I wonder what you can tell me.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 11:28AM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

I'm getting an arizonica from High Country Gardens this weekend. Like forreri, it is a high-altitude plant, and needs drainage. I grew it before, and it was a wiry plant. Forreri is a lot like glechomifolia, and may also like some humus. All three are closely related.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 6:39PM
dave_olympia(7B)

wardda, I bought a small plant of arizonica in summer of 2010 and it has thrived here in the Pacific NW at the base of a small tree. I read that it often grows under shrubs and trees in the wild. It has now spread several feet outward from the base. It's a great ground cover and the small flowers are best enjoyed up close. We had temperatures in 2010 down to 12 degrees and it came back in May with no problems. I think it could be easily controlled if you want a smaller patch by cutting it back. The stems are quite long. It sets plenty of seeds.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 12:44AM
wardda

Thanks, it should be hardy here in South Jersey too, especially since drainage isn't an issue.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 3:40PM
More Discussions
flowers more tenacious
The only Salvia that I know first-hand is S. coccinea. Blossoms...
four
help identify this plant please!!!
Hi fellow garden enthusiasts! Can anyone help me identify...
sabine77
Salvia ID
I can't remember which salvia this is. I planted "maraschino...
rubyhum
How to prune Pineapple sage for winter
My Pineapple sage in pot is at the end of its blooming,...
Gofrsz
dormancy issue question on my salvia reptans?
All of my different salvia's are coming back now except...
loganlady
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™