Collecting Cornflower seeds

tdsmith_gw(7a)May 17, 2009

I need to send some of these seeds to someone and will not be able to do it after the flowers dry on their own so can I cut the blooms and send them so she can dry them.? Will the seeds germinate if the flowers are picked while in bloom?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi,
You need to wait. If you cut off the flowers, the seeds have not developed all the way. If the flowers have died off and the seeds are almost ready to go, you might be successful. It sounds though as if you want to cut fresh blooms which will not work.
Remy

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 7:54PM
elvis

Wait to harvest until they are completely dried up, as you would with most any seed. Be careful when cleaning them, as the seedheads are sharp and can cause infection if you get pricked. The seeds are the light-colored 'space shuttles'.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 11:25AM
wally_1936(8b)

What I would like to know is, will they re-seed if I scatter their seeds over a bare area?
Paul

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 9:28PM
remy_gw

Paul,
The answer is maybe, lol. I know, not the answer you wanted to hear. With re-seeders, some people will tell you, "oh it re-seeds everywhere. It is so easy to grow, like a weed." Then you will get people who say, "I planted that and have never seen a seedling." Cornflower seed is so cheap though, it is a good one to try to get to fill an area. If the area of ground is very bare, I would try to loosen the soil up a bit before scattering the seed so they have spots to take hold. Or if possible, plant a few plants. Sometimes people have better luck with plants re-seeding for them.
Remy

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 8:06AM
More Discussions
Chaenomeles (Quince) shrub- info please
Hi guys! Yesterday I cracked open the fruit from my...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Ruellia/Mexican Petunia
There has to be a trick to saving these. I know they...
poisondartfrog
Which plants stay true to the parent?
I'm saving seeds for the first time this year. I know...
paloaltomark
need help with seed saving winnowing
saved these seed how do I winnow?
Wild Haired Mavens
Lantana Tangerine
I have a large, thriving shrub of this and I would...
merianna
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™