difference b/n 'limelight' and 'lollie jackson'?

jeanr(6)July 14, 2007

pictures of these two look very similar. what is the difference? do they both come true from seed? would like to hear any pros and cons on the above 2 varieties.

thanks,

jean

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
youreit

The main difference I can tell from descriptions is size - 'Limelight' can reach at least 6 ft. tall (mine is now, anyway), and 'Lollie Jackson' is supposed to be compact at 4 ft. I think there might be some slight differences in sizes of flowers and calyces, as well.

Brenda

Bookmark   July 14, 2007 at 10:32AM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Actually, Limelight is the compact one (4-5 feet), and has medium cobalt blue flowers (a little more to the purple than guaranitica, but about the same saturation) and chartreuse calyxes. Tula (from Yucca-Do) is the giant form with similar colored flowers and calyxes.

Lollie Jackson, introduced mainly through Yucca-Do, has longer and denser spikes of midnight purple calyxes and flowers and can get 6-7 feet tall, about one foot taller than the closely related La Placita and Puerto de la Zorra forms (both my introductions). These last two have similar foliage and colored flowers. Ocampo (from Yucca-Do) is the giant form with similar colored flowers and calyxes.

There is a really giant form from Oaxaca with dark flowers and calyxes which I got from Saso's Herb Garden in Saratoga, CA a very long time ago which I lost some time ago.

Bookmark   July 14, 2007 at 10:57AM
youreit

So I may not even have 'Limelight', as I thought! I'll take pics when it finally blooms, and see what you all think.

Sorry I flubbed that one, Jean! :D

Brenda

Bookmark   July 15, 2007 at 5:16PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Salvia Elegans (Pineapple Salvia)
Does anyone have cuttings or volunteers? I am in Redlands,...
LeeBeesGarden
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
Identity crisis ...
This very tall salvia (like 10 feet or so) has very...
johnburtonstutz
how to pollinate Salvia wagneriana
Hi, Received this as a cutting and it has mushroomed...
seedmoney
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™