Kale greens seed

diane333tn(z7 TN)May 14, 2005

I have a patch of a wonderful smooth leaved kale that had formed seed pods and is nearly through the flowering process. Could some knowledgeable person give me some advice on when I need to collect the seed from the pods? This variety is very hard to find...it's one of those "pass along" types. The gentleman who gave me my seeds called the kale "German greens", but it is definitely kale. The pods at this point are still green and the seeds are white. I know they need to become black, but have no idea at what point to collect them. Do they automatically burst open or do they get brown and dry, allowing me to harvest the pods and shell out the seeds? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Diane :-)

Tennessee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AdamM321(MA z5/6)

Hi,

I had curly kale that wintered over from last year under a thick mulch. It grew again this year and produced seed that did eventually pop open all over the bed they were growing in, and I let them thinking I wouldn't mind if they reseed all over the bed.

I was going to pull the plant, but surprisingly, after the seeds dispersed, the plant started growing again and it is FULL of gorgeous new leaves. I didn't know this kale plant would just keep going like this. It is like the energizer bunny. :-)

Adam

Bookmark   September 4, 2005 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
Ruellia/Mexican Petunia
There has to be a trick to saving these. I know they...
poisondartfrog
Organizing Seeds
Hello, I would love to hear how people organize their...
Robin282
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
Phlox and Yarrow seeds where are they??
I have not been here on this forum before and am usually...
wishnforspring
When to expect sunflowers to form seeds?
When can I expect my sunflowers to form seeds? I was...
invisigoth
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™