propagation question

kwie2011August 4, 2014

I have a few older "pups" from a larger plant that were broken off the stolons. Each "pup" was already 5-10 inches tall. Each had about 1/2 to 1 inch of the horizontal rhizome still attached. I potted them several weeks ago with the bit of rhizome still attached because there were just a few tiny roots on each one, but none closer to the vertical portion, so I thought it'd give them a head start to have a little bit of root, but now I'm second-guessing myself. Is that bit of rhizome just something to potentially rot, or am I okay? I really hate to start over and set them back again. I'm afraid to even de-pot them to see if they have new roots.

I've become very enamored with Sansevieria recently. (Can't believe I used to think they were ugly or boring!) Any resources for care,propagation, etc. would be appreciated. Resources for inexpensive little starter plants, or even leaf cuttings would also be lovely.

Thanks,

Kwie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

The root rhizome is part of the plant and should not ever rot. It should produce many more roots all along it. Some times it even produces another rhizome heading the other direction. Leave alone. I hope you let it heal over before planting it. When cut, the rhizome needs to callus over. It usually takes a few days. Dusting with surfer or Rootone helps but don't have to use it.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 1:20PM
More Discussions
Does anyone know what cultivar this is?
Got this for 5 bucks at walmart. Its about 12inches...
tlbean2004
sansevieria pups wanted (the TALL variety)
just curious if anyone can send me a sansevieria pup...
jay83
plantnut2011
PLEASE HELP!
Hello, I am new to plant ownership and have been aiming...
lawilson10
Is my Whitney ok? What should I do?
On of the favorites in my modest collection, my new...
vivaria
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™