Sansevieria leaf tips

londongirlAugust 27, 2007

I have a very small Sansevieria, that has one largish leaf (relative to the others), one smaller leaf, and one tiny leaf in the centre. My cat has knocked the tip off the largish leaf.

I was reading an old thread on this forum, where people were discussing leaf tips, but no conclusion seemed to be reached.

Does anyone know if it's true that if the tip breaks off a leaf then that leaf won't grow? Do Sansevieria leaves grow from the tip, rather than the base? If so, should I cut that leaf off? Will doing so encourage new growth?

Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flicker(z8b LA)

The plant will continue to grow. Lots of people clip off the tip of sans when damaged. unsightly, but no problem.
Johanna

Bookmark   August 31, 2007 at 12:28PM
londongirl

Thanks Johanna! Much appreciated.

Bookmark   August 31, 2007 at 1:07PM
daniel46(usda zone 6)

THE PLANT ITSELF WILL NOT BE AFFECTED BUT THE ONE LEAF WHICH IS MISSING ITS TIP WILL NOT GROW ANY LONGER THAN IT IS.

Bookmark   February 1, 2008 at 7:44PM
dufflebag2002(Calif. 91607)

Right, a new tip will not grow, but the leaf if not fully grown will continue to grow from the bottom. All the new leaves coming out of the center will continue to be longer than the old leaves, until it is a mature. Some plants only have 3 leaves to a growth, others 14+ it wil depend on the species. Norma

Bookmark   February 10, 2008 at 2:47AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

If the damaged leaf is particularly unsightly you can carefully slice it off near the base and root it to start a new plant.

Bookmark   February 10, 2008 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
snake plant in low light
anyone have any luck growing a snake plant in low light?...
jay83
HELP!!! My snake plant is dying
Hi I have a big problem with my snake plants. Please...
mrjoss
Sansevieria from seed
Does anyone know a good method to sprout Sansevieria...
foxwichya
Sansevieria Whitney? at Ikea
My husband and I were at the South Philadelphia, PA...
akrrm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™