Lantana

teresabo(4MN)May 31, 2005

This year I am growing some Lantana (Desert Sunset), which are an annual in this region. I don't like buying new plants yearly. Has anyone saved seed from these that can describe the seed pod? Also, will they bloom the first year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anderson4paint(Z7 Long Island)

I bougt the plants last year and I love them. Unfortunately, new to gardening it never occurred to me to save the seeds. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I do believe the seeds just begin to appear, they are pretty big and black. I don't think you can miss them. Here is a site wit a picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Seed Site

Bookmark   June 1, 2005 at 12:12PM
teresabo(4MN)

Great! Thank you!

Bookmark   June 1, 2005 at 9:56PM
sanitycheck(Mi5)

I like this plant alot too. They have lots of seed. Little black wrinkled things. I have never had great luck getting them to germinate. I planted them shallow watered spareingly and put them in a ziplock bag till they germinated. Start early as they are slow growers.

Bookmark   June 1, 2005 at 10:42PM
ruthieg__tx(z8 TX)

When the flowers fade you will see the seeds, you won't miss them as they are distintive looking and look like a cluster of tiny berrys...The seeds will germinate but they are not easy and they seem to take a long time...however the plant itself is easy to ropogate...I just take a snip from the end of a branch and stick it into the soil. I don't always even use a hormone powder but it would help I'm sure...I always have a spot that I call my nursery and I keep them there...not too hot, not too cold and usually like dappled sunlight and they'll be rooted before you know it...the seeds might take months so plant them where they won't be disturbed...I would plant them in small pots so you can move them when necessary...Lantana is one of my favorite plants because it's like your dog, they love you and thrive.

Bookmark   June 2, 2005 at 4:10PM
teresabo(4MN)

Thanks all! I'll for sure try the seeds - I'll have to decide on cuttings when I figure out everything else I'll be that I'll be saving cuttings from.

Bookmark   June 4, 2005 at 10:20PM
Chrissy1983

If you Nick and then soak the seeds for 24hours it speeds up the germination process.

Bookmark   June 10, 2005 at 12:44AM
SEWigardnut(5)

I've bought Lantana for two years now. I thought I saved seed last year but I couldn't find them. If I take a cutting can I keep it in the house over winter?

Bookmark   July 17, 2005 at 10:41PM
harlgr8dane(5b ON)

Hmmm...this is the species that I think I also have....but the only thing I see on it are green little balls - which I think are the seed pods. If I leave them on, they fall off and I assume are eaten by some critter....are these not the seed pod?

Bookmark   August 10, 2005 at 9:40AM
ggwrn(7NC)

If it is like the lantana that I have, the green balls should turn black. They are like little berries.

Bookmark   August 16, 2005 at 3:34PM
fanelda

I planted the seeds one year and all I got was green plants, never any flowers. I was told you can only grow lantana from cuttings. Is this true?

Bookmark   August 18, 2005 at 3:51PM
tracey_nj6(6)

LOL; the mockingbirds generally get all of my berries before I get to harvest them. I tried to winter sow the few berries that I did manage to steal away from them, but they never germinated :(

Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 2:53PM
eskinola(Z5PA)

I have some lantana seed (about 25) from this year's plant if anyone wants them to try propagating by seed. I can mail out a couple with a SASE. New to this forum- do we do seed trading here? I belong to Dave's garden and I do that there.

I've never tried germinating lantana before, but this year I'm trying. I see it takes 180 days to germinate! I wonder if using my heating mat will help. It works wonders for seedstarting and even rooting cuttings in water or potting mix.

Bookmark   August 27, 2005 at 4:20PM
brenda_near_eno(Z7a)

Easy to root a sprig in water over winter. Then cut up rooted cutting in spring to start more rooted cuttings as winter ends.

Bookmark   August 27, 2005 at 11:52PM
Carol Cutler

Can you winter the plants in a warmer place if they are potted? I have two that are outside now and thought about putting them in the garage overnight when it's freezing outside. Otherwise, how would I root a cutting? I'm pretty novice when it comes to plants! :) Thanks!

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 7:56PM
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6(Indiana Zone 5/6)

Can I overwinter my Lantana in my basement?

Indiana.Matt
Matthew

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 11:00PM
wynnho

When I worked at a nursery, i'd save seed and pay attention to what and when things set seedv - so I could save them, of course ! The yellow lantanas set seeds the best. i think they were a slightly different variety. Some lantanas have prickly stems while others don't. i was told that is one way to tell the species apart....esp. since some species overwinter better than others.

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 11:15AM
More Discussions
any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?
I already posted the following to the vegetable forum,...
cousinfloyd
Named variety Echinops true from seed?
Hi, I've been given some seedheads of what I think...
perennial2014
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
seeds sprouted in paper towel show mold on paper towel
I saved my zinnia seeds last year and decided to sprout...
kimpa
Sponsored Products
Kichler Lantana Modern Contempo Outdoor Wall Light
1800Lighting
1800Lighting
Kichler Lantana 7002 Outdoor Ceiling - 9 in. - 7002GNT
$91.08 | Hayneedle
1800Lighting
Kichler Lantana Outdoor Wall Lantern - 10H in. Textured Granite - 9166GNT
$136.62 | Hayneedle