On an exchange list, what is one trade?

wanna_run_fasterMay 14, 2005

Hello all,

Just get into seed collection & exchanges. Could someone please tell me how an exchange usually works? For example I see alot of people asking if the trader will accept a SASE instead since there is no matches on their lists. Is this an acceptable practice or is it considered 'taboo' or 'pushy' in any way? Also, if someone says they have 'one trade' worth, what exactly does that mean? Is there a 'set' number of seeds usually in a trade?

Thanks in advance,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
webkat5(Z6a MO)

Check out the FAQ's on that forum....it will give you all of the answers.
You are not actually supposed to ask for seeds....it is trade only unless the SASE is offered to you. If you want clarification on how many seeds are in each individual trade, ask them and tell them what you are sending. Communication is everything.

Bookmark   May 15, 2005 at 9:38AM
trudi_d

About two dozen is the usual amount for a trade. You can contact a trader through email rather than post a request for a SASE, which is tabu on the exchanges, because it invites too many greedy people. People will post if they have seeds to share, epsecially in Autumn and Winter after everyone has harvested seeds from their gardens. They trade and then SASE away what they don't need.

I made a collection of seed trading FAQs for the Winter Sowing Forum--we have an exchange. I'll paste in the link for you. The FAQs for seed trading are about 2/3s down the list.

Here is a link that might be useful: WS FAQs--seed trading FAQs are about 2/3s down the list

Bookmark   May 15, 2005 at 3:26PM
wanna_run_faster

WebKat an Trudi,

Thanks so much for your help. The FAQ's were great and answered all my questions! Don't know why I didn't see the link originally! And Trudi, thanks for all your hard working putting all the information together for folks like me! It's great.

Bookmark   May 17, 2005 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
Jackmanii Clematis
I have a Jackmanii clematis out back that has seeds...
uptomyeyeballs
How are most of you taking cuttings?
I am trying to take cuttings of some of the plants...
barb_roselover_in
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
When to expect sunflowers to form seeds?
When can I expect my sunflowers to form seeds? I was...
invisigoth
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™