how to keep seed pods from opening?

monicatx(z8 TX)May 28, 2011

Hi, I just gathered some green seed pods from my moon flower bushs. They are so pretty with the little spines on them. How can I keep them from opening when they dry?

When I did a general search on the internet I found a listing on milk weed. It said to put superglue on the pod seams and they would not open. Will this work on other seed pods?

Hope you know. My pods always open and release the seeds. Yes, I do re-seed also, but have lots of pods this year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Superglue?! I've never heard that before. It might work for a bit, but the release of seeds is like having a baby. The seed has to come out, lol. My solution(and many other people's) is to use organza draw string gift bags over the pods. I save them from showers, weddings, etc. My SIL thinks they look neat on plants that I'm saving seeds from though I think it is a bit silly looking. I've seen people sew their own bags so if your handy that way, you could make them.
Remy

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 9:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

A paper bag and twist-tie from the bread bag will work, too. Enclosures like these are necessary for some of the exploding types of seed pods.

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 11:53AM
More Discussions
Jackmanii Clematis
I have a Jackmanii clematis out back that has seeds...
uptomyeyeballs
Bugs in seeds -) will freezing work?
Apparently a batch of small flying insects - rather...
suecirish
need help with seed saving winnowing
saved these seed how do I winnow?
Wild Haired Mavens
When to expect sunflowers to form seeds?
When can I expect my sunflowers to form seeds? I was...
invisigoth
Extra Ghost Pepper Seeds
I have around 50 extra seeds to trade with. I know...
T S
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™