winter temps?

pepbob1(zone5, nh)August 22, 2008

Would 50 degree night time temps be ok for sans during the winter, possibly hitting 55-60 during the day?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michaela(z6+ TN)

I would say that would be living dangerously. You must keep water out of the plants that have crowns like the Hahnii's. Do not expect the kinds of growth you would normally get with hotter temps, and less pupping. Lean towards keeping them on the dry side. Give them all the light you can.

Bookmark   August 23, 2008 at 3:00PM
pepbob1(zone5, nh)

Thanks for the responce re; temps, i was afraid that was what somebody would say, LOL! I am thinking logistically of where iam going to be putting my plants after i bring them in from their summer outside. I do have one room that i could use for plants during the winter but i guess it would be too cold, i have cactus also, maybe thats where they will go! Thanks, again.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 10:40AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I once lived near Phoenix and very brief periods well below 50° in the early morning caused little or no damage. Further north where outside temperatures were near freezing I once had a greenhouse with an electric heater and I could not afford to go above 50° all day and all night. Sansevieria did not thrive and often died in that greenhouse.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 10:43AM
GrowHappy(z7 MD)

I live in the Mid-Atlantic and have had a terrible experience exposing my Sans to temps below 60, inside. I lost several Hahnii year before last because they were in a room with too cool temps. Now I keep all Sans under lights on the top shelf!!!!

I wouldn't risk it. They don't like cold or wet.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 11:38AM
pepbob1(zone5, nh)

Thanks again for the further input, now i definitely know i will not be following through with my cool room plans!

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 4:24PM
jerusalemcherry(Dunellen, NJ)

How often do you feel its good to water a hahnii type during the winter in the northeat? My home has radiators for heat that I keep set at 70 something in the winter.

Bookmark   September 15, 2008 at 9:35PM
More Discussions
sansevieria pups wanted (the TALL variety)
just curious if anyone can send me a sansevieria pup...
jay83
Sans2014
Help
What's wrong with my sansevieria? Can I do anything...
savana3
snake plant in low light
anyone have any luck growing a snake plant in low light?...
jay83
Photo album (for Sans)
Using the "project" thingie on here, I made...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™