question re: pruning salvias

napapen(ca 15)July 4, 2007

I have a number of salvia who bloom toward the end of summer.

I would like to keep them shorter. Can I keep cutting back and will they still form flowers.

Thanks Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CA Kate

I have by 1/2 and they did still bloom..... but I wouldn't wait any longer.

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 7:35PM
happyatlastbw

MY SALVIA TOO, HAVE BECOME TALL AND SCRAGGLY LOOKING. I HAVE ALREADY CUT THEM BACK, THE 1ST OF JULY AND AM THINKING ABOUT DOING IT AGAIN. HOPE IT WORKS AGAIN.

BRENDA

Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 7:49PM
skrip(z9/sun19/SoCal.)

I've done this to my Mexican Bush Sage many times, and it does come back... even 3 to 4 times a year!

Bookmark   August 9, 2007 at 4:40PM
mboston_gw

My slavias looked great until the real heat set in in July. I have moved most of them to a little more shady area and they are doing better. I want to cut them back though, especially the ones with dead wood like my Autumn Sage. How do I do it. How much do I cut and am I right in assuming new growth will come from the base not on the old wood? Is it true of the others like Coral Nymph and the whites, reds, and blues?

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 9:33AM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Salvia greggii and related woody sages do come back from old wood and should not be cut back unless the wood is brittle and dry. Tahe a piece off a bush that you know to be dead and another that is live, Compare the suppleness/brittleness of the stem and take a pocket knife and scrape off the bark, the next layer is the cambium, and if it is at least light green and damp, it is viable.

You can kill a greggii/microphylla and especially a regla by cutting it to the ground. Treat as a deciduous tree or bush.

I have some S. microphylls Hot Lips that I just retrieved from the compost pile because they are starting to bud out at the leaf axils.

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 11:08PM
More Discussions
Salvia regla 'Mt. Emory' source?
I am looking for a source of Salvia regla "Mt....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Salvia ID
I can't remember which salvia this is. I planted "maraschino...
rubyhum
I need plants ofb Salvia Apiana.
I left my place in California and have had no luck...
Designed Excellence
need tips on germinating Salvia roemeriana
Hi, A friend from Texas sent me seeds of Cedar Sage...
seedmoney
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
I have salvia 'Clary Mix'? Does anyone have experience...
ladyrose65
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™