Collecting seed from Allium

SmokyMist(7 East TN)June 10, 2005

I have about a dozen different allium, and while collecting the seed from drumstick and others is easy, I still can't figure out how to collect the seed from Globemaster or other tall "ball" type alliums. It's probably very easy and I'll laugh at myself when someone tells me. Do I cut the "ball" shaped bloom after it's finished it's cycle or do I leave it on the stem ? Thanks for any help.

Cheryl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trudi_d

Let it stay on the plant until it develops seeds, the flower stem will yellow and die back nturally when the seeds are mature.

Bookmark   June 10, 2005 at 7:54AM
gardengirl_17(z5 OH)

I have an even sillier question - since the Alliums you buy are bulbs, how long will it take for a WS Allium seed to bloom?

Bookmark   July 3, 2005 at 11:03AM
cheyjohn_z5(6)

I collected seed from my allium this year also. I am wondering the same things as gardengirl.

Chey

Bookmark   July 18, 2005 at 9:54AM
clairdo2(3)

SAME HERE, JUST COLLECTED SEEDS FROM MY ALLIUM BUT NOW WONDER IF THEY'LL EVER AMOUNT TO ANYTHING (lol)

Bookmark   July 24, 2005 at 12:38PM
bulletz64(z8 SEA)

I'm in the same boat as you, guys. I just want to know if it's gonna bloom for me, how long do I have to wait (years?)and if I'm just wasting my time in planting a seed instead of buying a bulb...? :)

Bookmark   September 12, 2005 at 5:06PM
thegardeningbug_rogers_com

I believe that allium take 4 or 5 years to flower from seed...the bulbs multiply readily,...I am not too sure how prolific globemaster is as I just put it in. I will tell you though that I have been allowing my seeds to mature and then putting them in the ground..the following year I had hundreds of babies (fine green onion type of growth) I started with my first alliums about eight years ago and I have at least a hundred bulbs...some of these are from bulbs.
Some of the articles I have read say that you should cut the seed head as it takes away from the bulb, but I can attest to the bulb being fine.

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 9:29PM
cheerpeople

Globemaster has never produced seed for me. Which is sad since i just cut one in half with my shovel today :( sniff.
Star of persia seed doesn't seem to germinate for me.
I have succeeded with two smaller types from seed. Both took 2 -3 years to bloom.

Purple sensation can be done also but i read the seed grown ones aren't as deeply purple.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
list of seeds that don't cross pollinate?
does anyone know what seeds do not cross pollinate?...
slm2118
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
When to expect sunflowers to form seeds?
When can I expect my sunflowers to form seeds? I was...
invisigoth
seeds sprouted in paper towel show mold on paper towel
I saved my zinnia seeds last year and decided to sprout...
kimpa
New at this....How do I harvest parsley seeds
I have a healthy flat leaf parsley plant in my herb...
realtorrose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™