Bought some fresh peas, can I save/dry them?

spaghetina(SF Bay Area)June 20, 2009

My favorite farm stand has the absolute best fresh English peas I've ever eaten. The pods are huge (about 6"), and the peas inside are almost always tender, crisp, large, and sweet.

Today, I went and picked up about 5 lbs. to eat raw (I'd rather sit with a bag of peas than a bag of chips), and a few were a bit old and beginning to split. I put them aside thinking maybe I could dry and save them to plant in the fall.

(Stupid sounding question, I know, but this is my first year gardening, so bear with me, lol.) Is is even possible to save the peas from something I bought and plant them later? Would I need younger peas than ones that are splitting, or is it ideal to have them be as old as they are? I did a search, and found a bit of info about drying beans, but I think that might be something different??

How would I go about saving these peas? I have about 30 of them sitting there with the pods cracked open right now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
countrycarolyn(6-7nwTN)

There are alot of produce that you buy in the stores that the seeds are vaiable and will produce. Frugal gardening has alot of tips on that one.

Peas need to be on the vine till the pod is hard to produce seed that is viable. I added a link for saving seeds for veggies and it also includes peas in this.

I hope that helps ya!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant A Garden

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 11:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spaghetina(SF Bay Area)

Thanks, countrycarolyn! That link will come in great handy in the coming months. :)

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 1:33PM
More Discussions
Need help on keeping seeds True
If I want to collect Petunia seeds to grow the following...
longknife
Gumbo Limbo-Bursera simaruba seeds
Does anyone know where I can purchase Gumbo Limbo seeds?...
dudeabides1389
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
Chaenomeles (Quince) shrub- info please
Hi guys! Yesterday I cracked open the fruit from my...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
crepe myrtle seeds
does anyone have any free pods or seeds to start my...
sandym646
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™