Best Way to Save Seed

alabama_jan(Zn8AL)June 18, 2005

I was wondering if anyone had a better way to save seed from different flowers from year to year. I make sure that the seeds are dry, put them in paper towels and fold them up, label them and put them in a cool place. Do you soak the seeds in warm water before planting them the next year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magus(8a BC)

I use #0 craft envelopes (coin envelopes) to store them, as they breathe and lets the seed dry more if they haven't dried enough. Lots of people use small plastic zip-loc-type baggies, but you have to make sure the seeds are very dry. Some seeds can't take dry storage (jeffersonia, sanguinaria, etc.), so you have to keep them moist, so a moist paper towel in a zip-loc is probably a good idea (I personally don't like to mess with these ones, because it's too much bother).

Most seeds won't require warm-water soaking when sown. Probably all don't, really, but with some you can help it germinate by soaking, or nicking, etc., like sweet peas (soak), some irises (nick and soak), moon flower vine (nick and soak), etc.

Bookmark   June 21, 2005 at 9:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JoyceC04240(z4Maine)

I also was using the #0 coin envelopes to save most seed.
I always keep a few in my purse & in the car for new finds.
I found a site that has free printable envelopes that just need to be cut & glued together.They have cute designs & are very easy. Hope they work as well for you. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: free printable seed packets

Bookmark   July 19, 2005 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
Seed Harvesting & Cleaning Instructions
Jonna Sudenius has made these wonderful videos on seed...
phylis
New at this....How do I harvest parsley seeds
I have a healthy flat leaf parsley plant in my herb...
realtorrose
4 oclock seeds
Can someone explain to me how to collect seeds from...
charinky
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
Recently read about a ''caffeine soak'' to get seed to germinate.
I recently read about a mention of a ''caffeine soak''...
albert_135
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™