When to plant Hollyhock seed for next year?

buckeyejoe(8 Coastal Carolina)June 30, 2006

I had one hollyhock this year. It did well, a double yellow flower. When do I harvest the seed? how do I handle them? When do I start the seed for next years crop? or would they start and bloom yet this year if I started them now? I live on the coast of southern NC.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
little_dani(9, S. Tex Coast)

I cut the seeds from the mama when they are brown and dry. Some may start to open, that is o.k.

I leave them in the pods and store them in paper coin envelopes that I buy at the office supply.

This is my first experience with hollyhocks, and I am just totally thrilled. My friend in Idaho shared seeds with me, and I planted them in the spring last year. I have lots of babies in the garden that reseeded from the mama. I am going to put them where I want them to grow. I think they will make it through our winter just fine, I worry more about the heat of our summer. I am also going to sow some seeds and try and keep track of their progress, so I know more about what I am doing with them.

My hollyhock is red, and grew to about 10 feet, covered in beautiful dark green foliage and gorgeous red flowers. I am happy to share seeds. Would you have a yellow seed pod to share?

OR is that allowed here? Just slap me if it is not. I am not familiar with the customs on this forum.

Janie

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 7:30PM
elvis

Well, folks--they're biannual. If you sow them now, fresh, they should germinate and grow into nice little plants this season. That means they may bloom next year--so why wait to plant till next spring? Same with columbine if you have that seed, too. Also, this will speed up the blooming wait on oriental poppies and lupine--

Just my 2 cents. This is what I do, and it works for me :)

Bookmark   July 5, 2006 at 4:47PM
ncstockguy(Zone7 NC)

So you do that with poppies up in Wisconsin too? I hadn't thought about that. They would not survive the winter would they? Or do the poppies not sprout until the following spring. I tried planting some here in zone 7 last fall and sure enough they came up with the first glimpse of spring.
Still experimenting with poppies, they are most interesting flowers.

Bookmark   July 9, 2006 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Ruellia/Mexican Petunia
There has to be a trick to saving these. I know they...
poisondartfrog
seeds sprouted in paper towel show mold on paper towel
I saved my zinnia seeds last year and decided to sprout...
kimpa
MN seed saving class at prepper expo
http://www.survivalpreppersexpo.com/classes/gardening/ I...
little_minnie
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
Gumbo Limbo-Bursera simaruba seeds
Does anyone know where I can purchase Gumbo Limbo seeds?...
dudeabides1389
Sponsored Products
Progress Lighting Spotlights Low Voltage LED 20-watt Equivalent Black Landscape
Home Depot
Marin Pot
$8.99 | zulily
Cascade Chandelier by Trend Lighting
$4,500.00 | Lumens
Garden Party Botanical Arrangement
$799.00 | FRONTGATE
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cake - N/A
$40.00 | Horchow