When to plant Hollyhock seed for next year?

buckeyejoe(8 Coastal Carolina)June 30, 2006

I had one hollyhock this year. It did well, a double yellow flower. When do I harvest the seed? how do I handle them? When do I start the seed for next years crop? or would they start and bloom yet this year if I started them now? I live on the coast of southern NC.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
little_dani(9, S. Tex Coast)

I cut the seeds from the mama when they are brown and dry. Some may start to open, that is o.k.

I leave them in the pods and store them in paper coin envelopes that I buy at the office supply.

This is my first experience with hollyhocks, and I am just totally thrilled. My friend in Idaho shared seeds with me, and I planted them in the spring last year. I have lots of babies in the garden that reseeded from the mama. I am going to put them where I want them to grow. I think they will make it through our winter just fine, I worry more about the heat of our summer. I am also going to sow some seeds and try and keep track of their progress, so I know more about what I am doing with them.

My hollyhock is red, and grew to about 10 feet, covered in beautiful dark green foliage and gorgeous red flowers. I am happy to share seeds. Would you have a yellow seed pod to share?

OR is that allowed here? Just slap me if it is not. I am not familiar with the customs on this forum.

Janie

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 7:30PM
elvis

Well, folks--they're biannual. If you sow them now, fresh, they should germinate and grow into nice little plants this season. That means they may bloom next year--so why wait to plant till next spring? Same with columbine if you have that seed, too. Also, this will speed up the blooming wait on oriental poppies and lupine--

Just my 2 cents. This is what I do, and it works for me :)

Bookmark   July 5, 2006 at 4:47PM
ncstockguy(Zone7 NC)

So you do that with poppies up in Wisconsin too? I hadn't thought about that. They would not survive the winter would they? Or do the poppies not sprout until the following spring. I tried planting some here in zone 7 last fall and sure enough they came up with the first glimpse of spring.
Still experimenting with poppies, they are most interesting flowers.

Bookmark   July 9, 2006 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
Seed Harvesting & Cleaning Instructions
Jonna Sudenius has made these wonderful videos on seed...
phylis
any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?
I already posted the following to the vegetable forum,...
cousinfloyd
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
Which plants stay true to the parent?
I'm saving seeds for the first time this year. I know...
paloaltomark
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™