Deadheading Marcus?

joycenhJuly 15, 2007

I bought some salvia Marcus in bloom because of the beautiful blue color and the tag that said they would bloom all summer if dead headed. They bloomed and put out secondary and tertiary levels of bloom in quick succession. When those were done I cut down to several leaves lower on the stems. But there have been no signs of further budding. The leaves do not look very robust. I see that there is a nice healthy looking rosette of leaves at the base of each plant. Would I be more likely to get good re bloom if I cut all the way back to that rosette at the base or should I be more patient?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

There is a limit to how much re-bloom you can get on nemerosa types from old stems. You can cut back the worn down old stems and let the new rosettes do their thing, whether it is further bloom or rebuilding food stores and other biomass for next year.

Bookmark   July 15, 2007 at 9:41PM
youreit

I noticed that with my 'Caradonna', it didn't bloom much the first year, even with consistent dead-heading. This 2nd year, it's like it woke up, doubling in size and putting out a lot of blooms. It's still blooming, and producing new blooming stems, and doesn't show signs of slowing down. I don't cut into the leafy area of this one at all, however, just trim the old bloom stems down to the nearest joint.

Brenda

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 10:54AM
CA Kate

I'm not sure if this will work with "Marcus", but....... When I dead head Salvias I try to only remove the stem-part with the blossoms, not the leafy part below. It seems there might be new flowers-in-the-making in those below-leaves.

Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 12:30PM
More Discussions
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
Skin irritation from Mexican bush sage?
Whenever I prune our Mexican bush sage, I break out....
hollybegonia
CA Salvia ID
I went out for a jog today and decided to take some...
anygreen
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
salvia seeds edible?
I know that Chia seeds are commonly eaten but are all...
anygreen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™