Tall & Thin

Nyanko(UK)August 30, 2005

I have a couple of fairly common sans. (although I don't know the specific names)

I've had them both a while and recently they've both been getting rather spindly and the leaves are very thin. Because they are growing quite quick it means that the leaves bend under their own weight.

One of the plants started losing leaves (but I think I over watered !!) Is there any thing I'm doing that's causing them to grow this way ???

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michaela(z6+ TN)

It sounds like you already know the likely problem. Stop watering and maybe replace soil, and also relocate in a location with much more light. However, direct sun now, if your plants are indoors, might burn them, so be careful about direct sun.

Bookmark   August 31, 2005 at 2:40PM
cactijoe(z5IN)

These indestructables like heat and sun. Sun and heat. And did I mention sun? Heat will keep them growing but spindly. They love being outside during the summer months soaking up the sun but need about a week to adjust from indoors to shady outdoors to full sun. A cacti "like" fertilizer (low nitrogen) will keep the leaves shorter and wider and will encourage blooming. Greenish white flowers that smell like heaven and attract ants. I mix the fertilizer with the soil, when dividing or repotting, with sand and perlite.

Bookmark   September 9, 2005 at 12:30AM
dufflebag2002(Calif. 91607)

They will also flower after a dry spell of 3 months, or in season to their species. I have some starting up now. The perfume is lovely, it will perfume the whole house. I don't get any ants however. CatiJoe, good advise for the UK , In the UK I would think clay pots would be the best, and not plastic, I seldom saw plastic pots in the UK. Norma

Bookmark   September 19, 2005 at 1:09AM
More Discussions
Newly aquired friends
Hi All, I just got these two freinds. Is one of them...
Sans2014
new snake plant- total beginner in need of tips!
Hi everyone, So glad I found this forum. I've been...
k8lizzy
Sans are monocarpic?
Very good question. 1. Monocarpic plants are those...
Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
Sansevieria from seed
Does anyone know a good method to sprout Sansevieria...
foxwichya
HELP!!! My snake plant is dying
Hi I have a big problem with my snake plants. Please...
mrjoss
Sponsored Products
Amanita LED Table Lamp - Tall - Damm
$350.00 | HORNE
New Geometric Hand Knotted Wool Tribal Runner Balouch Blue Veg Dyed Rug Free Pad
BH Sun Inc
Fima Frattini by Nameeks S5091 Single Hole Bathroom Faucet - S5091BR
$597.92 | Hayneedle
Colton Aged Brass One-Light Energy Star Wall Sconce with Linen Shade
$198.00 | Bellacor
Tall Recycled Plastic Tube Feeder
$29.99 | zulily
Vanderbilt Collection English Bronze 9-Light Chandelier
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™