S. trifasciata 'Laurentii' or S. trifasciata 'Futura'?

plantomaniac08(8)August 28, 2012

I'm not sure how to best word my question so I'll just spit it out. How tall does S. trifasciata 'Futura' get (is there a specific height maximum)? I have what I believe is a S. trifasciata 'Futura' and recently purchased a S. trifasciata 'Laurentii' and I'm now confused if my S. trifasciata 'Futura' is possibly a "smaller" version of a 'Laurentii' in the respect that it just hasn't reached it's maximum height (produced a pup that grows as tall as 'Laurentii'). I currently have three in the pot ('Futura') and the largest plant is a little over a foot tall.

The S. trifasciata 'Laurentii' I purchased has a couple small plants in the pot that are less than a foot tall (they are connected by rhizomes to 'pups' that are two feet in length). Hopefully I'm not being too wordy and you can understand why I'm asking. To see such small plants in the S. trifasciata 'Laurentii' pot with such large pups makes me wonder if my 'Futura' is indeed a 'Futura' as all three ('Futura' plants) are larger than the smallest plants in my 'Laurentii' pot. Phew, sorry if this was confusing to read.

Planto

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

Planto,
My Laurentii is over 4 feet tall. The widest part of their leaves is about 3 inches. Most are 2 inches. My futura's are about 18 inches tall now and has leaves almost 4 inches wide. Most futura's get about 12 to 15 inches tall. None of my plants read the book and they do what they like. Like my dwarf trees, they are now over 35 ft. tall. Getting the chainsaw ready.
Stush

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 8:33PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Stush,
I learned early in growing plants that most don't "read the book." Haha. So, how can/did you tell your 'Futura' apart from your 'Laurentti" (I'm assuming you've had both for awhile)?

Planto

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 9:04PM
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

Planto,
Laurentti = Tall and Skinny,
Futura = Short and Fat. Simple.
Hahnii = Very tiny dence, birdnest
Tall............Med.............short
and everything inbetween.
and still we get confused. I thought it was my age.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 10:00PM
Michaela(z6+ TN)

I'm hoping if you saw a Futura plant next to a full size trifasciata in a picture, you will get a better idea of size relationships.

In 'captivity' trifasciatas like t. Laurentii get to ABOUT 30-40 inches tall. I have seen plain, normal trifasciatas reach a full 6 feet in a good home environment. There are usually 2-4 leaves in one growth. The smaller leaves you see in your pot are just young leaves, not Futuras. Futuras beget Futuras, and normal trifasciatas beget normal trifs (rare mutations aside).

Futuras represent a medium size class of trifasciata. They range from ABOUT 10-14 inches tall and the leaves are noticeably wider than their normal-size counterparts. They are somewhat vase shaped, and multiple leaves grasp a central stem.

Hopefully somewhere in here I have shed some light on your question.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 10:29PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Stush & michaela,
Thanks so much for both your replies. They cleared up most of my confusion. My last bit of confusion will hopefully be answered soon. I can't really look at both of my snake plants and apply your information clearly so I would like to know if you can you tell me if the snake plant on the right is a 'Futura' or if I have a second 'Laurentii'? The only real descriptions I can provide for each is that the most leaves present on both sets of snake plants is four (not sure if that helps at all).

Planto

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 11:37PM
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

Best guess, I think they are young Laurentii.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 7:23PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Stush,
Thanks so much, I value your opinion. After purchasing the most recent 'Laurentii' and noticing the differing sizes of plants present, I couldn't help but question if the one in the orange pot (the older one) was also a 'Laurentii' Looks like my Mother will be receiving another one of my plants. ;)

Planto

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 11:03PM
Michaela(z6+ TN)

I agree with Stush. All your plants are Laurentii. And they are looking good!
I am attaching a picture of the Futura form of Laurentii. Notice the multiple leaves clasping the stem and the width of the leaves which are much wider than the normal (tall) Laurentii.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 11:52AM
plantomaniac08(8)

michaela,
Thank you so much for the input and the additional confirmation (I like your photo too!).

Planto

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 9:22PM
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

Planto,
Are you looking for a futura? Email me.

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 3:19PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Stush,
I sent you an e-mail!

Planto

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
Sansevieria Whitney? at Ikea
My husband and I were at the South Philadelphia, PA...
akrrm
Any kinds of "cylindrical" leaf Sansevieria grow well low light?
Glad I found this forum on GardenWeb. I would like...
acg85
Photo album (for Sans)
Using the "project" thingie on here, I made...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Please ID my new Hahnii
I finally found a new Hahnii to bring home - I have...
lme5573
snake plant keeps dying
Greetings, my snake plant that I keep in a room (temperature...
cicak
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™